We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Bozeman to Jackson Hole

Royal Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Bozeman to Jackson Hole

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Bozeman, MT first week of January. I'd also like to drive to Jackson Hole, WY.

Three questions:

1. Is it even possible to drive from Bozeman to Jackson Hole in January? I think the Yellowstone Park is closed to public, if I'm not mistaken. If it is, what route would I have to take?

2. If possible, how easy a drive would it be? I've been to both Montana and Wyoming but never in Winter so I don't know if it would be a rough ride or not.

3. Considering it's possible, how long would it take me from Bozeman to Jackson Hole?

Thanks

Sam

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,869 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Bozeman to Jackson Hole

Sam, welcome to TA!

-Yes, you are correct, Yellowstone is closed to wheeled traffic (except the road across the Northern Range from Mammoth to Cooke City, but that's not where you want to go) from November to April. To get to Jackson, you would need to go down 191 to West Yellowstone, then work your way down thru Idaho on US20/ID33 across Teton Pass and in to Jackson.

-The road conditions will be extremely weather dependent. It might be possible to do, it might not be. It will depend on whether a storm is or has blown through.

I'm guessing you are looking at 5 hours minimum, likely much more. 2 hours from Bozeman to West Yellowstone if conditions are great. At least 3 hours from West Yellowstone to Jackson, again if conditions are great. The locals would be driving these roads, but have appropriate vehicles, tires and skills and would be off the roads if the conditions were hazardous.

I see you are from Florida. Unless you have winter driving skills I would not recommend this plan. You are not really going to know until the last minute if this route will be workable. I recommend picking either Bozeman or Jackson.

Pam

Edited: 27 November 2012, 15:49
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Bozeman to Jackson Hole

People drive down to go skiing at Targhee from Montana all the time. That road is kept open and clean, as is Teton Pass into Jackson.

I think you can do it, but don't head out if there is bad weather. Drive only in full daylight. Make sure you have a front wheel drive car. 4WD doesn't help you stop, so it is kind of a false sense of security.

Carry emergency supplies when driving on winter roads. That includes blankets, food, water, flashlight, batteries, cell phone / car charger and more.

Royal Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Bozeman to Jackson Hole

Pam,

Thank you very much! Excellent advice. I just made my reservation for JH. Bozeman will have to be the next trip.

Thanks again...

Sam

4. Re: Driving from Bozeman to Jackson Hole

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Bozeman