We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Son wants to visit Montana State University

Berkeley, California
2 posts
Save Topic
Son wants to visit Montana State University

I found that Allegiant is only offering non-stop flights from Oakland, Ca till Jan 14th. I am thinking of booking Saturday January 12th (arrive around noon) through to the very last flight they offer on Monday Jan 14th (depart around noon). Even taking that that one extra day off work is real tricky. Where should we stay? Do we need to rent a car?

What sort of public transport is there? How likely are the flights to be cancelled/delayed due to weather? That is a huge worry for me. I normally like quaint b & b type things or the wolf sanctuary looks interesting but is all that too much do do with 48 hours total to see the university and town? Thank you so much for your help!

USA
Level Contributor
595 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Son wants to visit Montana State University

Weather is not likely to delay a flight. Montana is used to extreme weather and it would have to be a monster of a snow storm to affect planes in and out. Delays usually occur because of weather somewhere else delaying planes coming to Bozeman.

Your schedule, though, is over a weekend, when most campus offices will be closed, so you will be on your own to look around.

The only public transportation is Streamline http://www.streamlinebus.com/ which is designed to get students to/from campus, including getting dorm residents to shopping, entertainment, etc. So if you can find lodging close to a bus stop, you may be able to avoid a car. There are some B&Bs within walking distance of downtown Bozeman and bus stops. You will need some sort of transport from the airport -- either a hotel shuttle or a cab. Cabs do not usually hang around the airport, so you will need to call for it. If your time is tight and you don't want to spend time figuring out routes and schedules and standing at a bus stop in winter weather waiting around for a Streamline bus, you may want to rent a car. Be prepared for winter driving.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Son wants to visit Montana State University

I think you'd really want a car to make the most efficient use of your time. Your son probably wouldn't need one as a student, at least for awhile.

Its a great school, big enough to explore your interests but way smaller than many of the big state schools around the country. Bozeman is a very sweet little college town. Be sure to walk Main Street and go to the Western Cafe for a cinnamon roll or a piece of pie.

Near campus, go get your son a Pickle Barrel sandwich for lunch one day. Unless he's a linebacker, a half sandwich will do! It is a college institution.

Berkeley, California
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Son wants to visit Montana State University

Thank you both for your advice. A car is probably a good idea for the visit.

Any recommendations on where to stay? Is the wolf sanctuary place worth it?

Or should we just get a right in town hotel/motel? Appreciate your time!

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Son wants to visit Montana State University

I think your goal is to see the campus and the town, not tourist destinations. For that reason I'd just get a hotel. There are a bunch down off of I-90. To save money, the Super 8 is decent a d comes with breakfast.

NE PA USA
Level Contributor
62 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Son wants to visit Montana State University

We visited MSU this summer. While my son & I toured the campus, my husband and our other two kids went to the Museum of the Rockies. You should take that in while you're there. We are headed back in February for MSU Friday and will explore the town some more and perhaps some other local attractions. We stayed at the Ramada. Really reasonable, they have breakfast, large rooms, pool, and there is a Chinese buffet and McDonald's right across the street. We liked it so much we are staying there again in February when we come out.

6. Re: Son wants to visit Montana State University

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2014, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Bozeman