We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

to stay or not to stay

Which Bozeman hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
107 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
to stay or not to stay

Hello, we may be flying into Bozeman mid September before driving to Yellowstone, then to Rushmore and then home.

Total trip is 9 full days, mauve 10.

Arriving Bozeman at 11am. Is there a point to stay a day in Bozeman, or better to rent a car and head to Yellowstone right away.

We are a married couple in 30s, good shape. Not really interested in nightlife and bar life, we have that at home. Coming down for scenery.

Thank you

Ps. We can fly home from anywhere, so probably major airport close to Rushmore.

I don't mind driving, love road trips and have done plenty.

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: to stay or not to stay

Not answering your question but have you checked the drop off charge for a car rented in Bozeman, MT and dropped off in Rapid City, SD? You might consider a Yellowstone only trip and do the South Dakota part another time. A week in the area around Rapid City would not be excessive. I think you would also be able to spend the 9 days in Yellowstone/Grand Teton/the mountains of western Montana without getting bored.

Level Contributor
107 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: to stay or not to stay

Not to worried about drop off charges.

we know someone in Sioux falls, so I'd be nice to see them.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
19,051 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: to stay or not to stay

Bozeman has a nice museum, Museum of the Rockies which has nice dinosaur exhibits, but frankly, getting in at 1100, I would do some shopping for a cooler and lunch/drinks/snacks and head for Yellowstone.

It may seem like 9 or 10 days is a long time, but you have a day's drive between Yellowstone and Mt Rushmore. We usually advise people to spend 3 or 4 full days in Yellowstone. You might want to spend a night in Cody on the way over to Mt Rushmore as you exit Yellowstone. With your time frame you probably don't have time for Grand Tetons. If you are going to head east from Mt Rushmore to Sioux Falls that would be another day or 2 if you give yourselves time to see your friends.

By the way, at that time in September some of the services are starting to close in Yellowstone. It's a good idea to have a cooler with food for your lunches and snacks in case you are out wildlife watching and don't want to leave to try and find a place to eat.

Pam

Level Contributor
107 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: to stay or not to stay

Thanks Pam,

Our friends can meet us in rapid city if need be, I just don't mind driving, but also don't want to waste time.

Do you suppose the weather would still be ok in mid September? All the sights still open? We are looking at staying either in west Yellowstone or one of the small towns near by.

Plan is 3 full days in Yellowstone, then drive beartooth east and maybe crash in Cody, or drive straight to Rapid City.

Rushmore and devils tower is just an option, it is not necessary, but since it's on the way, I'd do a quick drive through to see it.

5. Re: to stay or not to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Bozeman