We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What family activities with a 6 year old?

San Diego
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
What family activities with a 6 year old?

My Wife and I are in our mid-40s and we have a 6 year old Son. We are looking at staying somewhere between 10-20 days at the Meadow Lake Golf Resort.

My question is, what activities are there for a family with a 6 year old? I know some of the rafting trips require older children, and horseback riding requires kids 7 and up.

I think there is a nice water park in Columbia Falls, he would LOVE that.

Other suggestions? Thank you for the help.

11 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,428 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What family activities with a 6 year old?

The Amazing Fun Center in East Glacier might offer some fun activities for you and your child. The main attraction is a large maze which you could do with your child (and let them choose the path!) They also have minigolf and bumper boats, which you would have to drive, but they can be the designated "squirter".

http://www.amazingfuncenter.com/

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What family activities with a 6 year old?

My kids enjoyed the Big Sky waterpark when they were little on a warm day. also there are activities such as an alpine slide at Whitefish Mountain. Boat rides are offered on all of Gladier's front country lakes. You'd be surprised how far a six year old can hike if you bring lots of treats and drinks. Also there is the Junior Ranger activities. Oh and there is a beach on Whitefish Lake. We found an outfitter outside the park that allowed my 6 year old to ride her own horse tethered to the wrangler.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What family activities with a 6 year old?

the fun center is on highway two on the west side, not East.

Edited: 24 January 2012, 04:19
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,428 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What family activities with a 6 year old?

Thank you, GNP4Me, you are absolutely correct. Being left-handed, I always mix up my East and West. (-:

So, Cofphoto, if you go the the Amazing Fun Center, it's in WEST Glacier!

Polson, Montana
Level Contributor
16 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What family activities with a 6 year old?

That seems like a long time to stay in Columbia Falls!! Big Sky Waterslides would definitely provide some days of fun if the weather is warm. Big Mountain (Whitefish Mountain) has a gondola that goes to the top of the mountain. They also have some fun hikes there. You can do fun things on Flathead Lake in Polson. A fun day trip would be to the National Bison Range in Moiese. A trip to Bigfork is also a must. There could be a fun play going while you are in the area. I would imagine you would spend several days in Glacier - I would plan some of the easier trails/hikes. Some relaxing picnics and lots of picture taking. If you are here that long, take your time in Glacier and make it really memorable. You could take the train from Whitefish to Essex in East Glacier. It stops at the Izaak Walton Inn. They have tours that leave from there. The train ride is short and would be something fun and different.

Tribes hill
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What family activities with a 6 year old?

Read

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What family activities with a 6 year old?

the train ride would be fun but you would have to stay all day and catch the train in the evening to go back to Whitefish. And I would not count on Amtrak to be on time (I know this due to countless Amtrak trips) I think Meadow Lake has a pool-that always kept my young children happy.

San Diego
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What family activities with a 6 year old?

Thank you everyone for the replies! I posted this way back in January, but our trip to Montana is now just 5 days away. We will be staying at the Meadow Lake Lodge in Columbia Falls from 8/16 - 8/29.

I will definitely take ALL of the above advice, thank you so much. My Wife is REALLY looking forward to horseback riding and white water rafting (while our Son is with Grandma and Grampa).

I am a Photographer, and the one thing I am VERY excited about is seeing the night sky up there. I keep telling my Son it will feel like he is out in space because he'll be able to see so many stars.

Are there any particular memorable waterfalls in the area worth photographing? I'm a bit spoiled as we've been to Yosemite many times (8 hour drive from here).

Thanks again!

San Diego
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What family activities with a 6 year old?

So far we have spent just one day at Glacier NP, made it up to Logan Pass Visitor Center and back. Logan Pass area is amazingly beautiful.

Spent a couple of days roaming around Whitefish, shopping and eating and relaxing.

Drove past the AFC and Big Sky, we'll definitely check those out.

Was actually thinking of driving down to Polson and Bigfork today to do some exploring and shopping.

Tomorrow is an early day to try to hit the East side of the park and hopefully the Many Glacier area....although that is a long drive from here.

If we took the train over to Essex, is there enough to do over there to warrant using up an entire day? The train ride sounds great, but obviously we wouldn't have a car when we got to the other end.

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What family activities with a 6 year old?

If you drive down to Polson, be sure to stop at the halfway point between Bigfork and Polson, which is Yellow Bay State Park, right on Flathead Lake. It's one of the best places to swim and picnic. Also, you'll find plenty of cherry stands still open, as the cherry season has been unusually late. I've heard the Miracle of America Museum in Polson is great fun, but haven't been there myself. There are also boat rides that leave from Kwa Tuk Nuk Motel. You should have a great day!

I'm doubtful about spending the entire day in Essex because there's not really much there to amuse a 6 year old, and because as GNP4me said earlier, the Amtrak is not known for being on time -- meaning it can run hours late.

Check out www.flatheadbeacon.com for their "Events" listings to see all the fun activities offered throughout the Flathead Valley this next week.

Feeding the ducks and geese at Woodland Park in Kalispell is usually a hit with little ones. Duck food is sold at the convenience store across the road from the park. Great play equipment there, plus a pool, walking paths and picnic tables. Great fun for all ages.

Welcome to our world, have a great stay!

Reply to: What family activities with a 6 year old?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Columbia Falls
Recent Conversations