Here's what I'm planning - any opinions good or ill? Towns listed are where I would stay each night.
1. LA to Ely NV
2. Salmon, ID (with stop at Craters of the Moon)
4. East Glacier (after doing Going to the Sun Hwy)
5. Gardiner (N Yellowstone entrance) OR West Yellowstone - any advice as to which? (Mammoth area of Yellowstone)
6. Cody (after having spent day at Yellowstone; fit in rodeo)
7. either second night Cody or Red Lodge (to see Beartooth Hwy)
8. Afton or Jackson (day tour of the Tetons)
9. Idaho Falls via the 89
10. Not sure - maybe Vegas
Many thanks for all advice - just FYI last year I did Utah - Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Island in the sky section of Canyonlands, Arches and Fisher Towers then back to Zion and home in 7 nights, 8 days. I know this is more driving...
Will be with two great car kids, 14 and 10.