We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paradise Valley

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
907 posts
203 reviews
Save Topic
Paradise Valley

We are staying two nights in Gardiner in mid June (for a bit of civilisation) before leaving for SLC and our flight home and have read about Paradise Valley. Is it worth missing a day in the park to explore and what else is there of interest in the Gardiner area that we can see in a day?

Of course, our main interests are wildlife and scenic beauty.

Mentioned in this post
Gardiner
Gardiner
Montana
NJ
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paradise Valley

you might want to drive the beartooth highway it is spectacular. red lodge and back to the gardiner area.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
907 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paradise Valley

Thanks, we are planning to do Beartooth Highway. I just wondered if Paradise Valley and north of Gardiner was worth seeing.

Although we love YNP and it will be our main reason for visiting, it would be a pity to miss other interesting areas.

Mentioned in this post
Gardiner
Gardiner
Montana
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paradise Valley

Missed it too Angela although we drove from Livingston to Gardiner (and stayed 3 nights). It was a nice drive through the mountains but not a curvy mountainroad. Afa I can see it's just half an hour north of Gardiner so why don't you explore (and let me know about it-lol). We used Gardiner for our Yell visit and stayed right along Yellowstone River. Gardiner was a nice little town and we did some short hiking over the bridge to the downtown area. That's all. Sorry.

Tet

Mentioned in this post
Gardiner
Gardiner
Montana
Yellowstone River Motel
Yellowstone River Motel
206 Reviews
Gardiner, MT
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
907 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paradise Valley

I'm surprised at you Tet! I was relying on you LOL My guidebook says most people drive straight through on the way to YNP, but it is worth exploring.

We are staying at Absaroka Lodge where (I read in another post) you stayed, so yes we will explore and I will let you know what you missed.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paradise Valley

Yes, Absaroka Lodge is a fine place. We pronounced it very wrong. It's someting like "ehpzohrkee" (:o).

Have a great time planning. Huge part of the fun!!

Tet

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paradise Valley

The road down Paradise valley is a nice drive alongside the Yellowstone River. If you have a reason to drive it, it is fine. I'd prefer spending my time in Yellowstone National Park. There is a reason it is a national park and Paradise Valley is not.

I'd put that time into a drive up the Lamar Valley toward Cooke City, MT for viewing wildlife and the mountain valleys there, or hiking one of the trails.

Mentioned in this post
Yellowstone River
Yellowstone River
529 Reviews
West Yellowstone, MT
Lamar Valley
Lamar Valley
2,371 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
alabama
Level Contributor
371 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Paradise Valley

just a suggestion if you are looking for a place to recharge your batteries. gardiner is a nice little town but if it were me, i'd spend one night at chico hot springs. it's about an hour north of gardiner & is just a super place. they have several different types of accomadations (rooms, cabins, etc.), a great restaurant, a spa, horseback riding, & it's also in the beautiful paradise valley area. just a thought. if you are going to be in the beartooth pass area, have you considered driving over to cody for the night? the rodeo is a must see & i never thought i'd like a rodeo.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
907 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paradise Valley

Thank you for this information. If it were just me, I would spend all my time in YNP - unfortunately there are others in our party to consider.

We have two nights in Cody, when we plan to drive BTH, CJH and hopefully visit the rodeo, but again there is more than me and my husband is not too keen on a rodeo!

All information is greatly received - thank you all once again.

Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Livingston, Montana
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Paradise Valley

Hi AngelaG-

Paradise Valley is fantastic! I live in the area, and the valley up to Livingston is definitely worth a day. Would you need to go back to Gardiner, or would this be on your way back towards SLC? In any case, when you head up the valley, about 20 miles from Gardiner, you'll want to take a right on East River Road. This road takes you through the valley, but along the back road, not highway 89. If you have 2-3 hours to relax, stop for either lunch or dinner at Chico Hot Springs and have a soak before or after your meal. It's an amazing old lodge with an outdoor pool heated by natural hot springs. Great live music in the evenings.

Pine Creek Cafe is another great place for a meal if you want to skip the soaking. It's just another ten miles or so north on East River Road, in the tiny community of Pine Creek.

Livingston is a fun western town, with a mix of ranchers, writers, celebrities, artists, and everyday folks - population about 7000. Great food and art galleries.

Don't miss the Paradise Valley! Let me know if you have any other specific questions.. would love to help.

Mentioned in this post
Gardiner
Gardiner
Montana
Chico Hot Springs
Chico Hot Springs
218 Reviews
Pray, MT
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
907 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paradise Valley

Hi AnglersRest

Thank you for the information, which I have copied to my trip notes.

We are spending two nights in Gardiner, and although we love YNP (having visited before) we also like to see surrounding areas.

Our intention is to take a day touring in the Paradise Valley, returning to Gardiner in the evening. How far we travel will depend on what we see. We shall just meander, stopping wherever we fancy - any wildlife we see or vistas - and generally treat it as a relaxing day.

Mentioned in this post
Gardiner
Gardiner
Montana
Get answers to your questions about Gardiner