We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whats in this town?

Which Gardiner hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tennessee
Level Contributor
758 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Whats in this town?

We are planning a trip to the area this summer. Trying to decide which town would be best. (Gardnier, West Yellowstone or Island Park)

We will be spending a day or two in YNP. But we would also like to know whats in this town as far as restaurants, shops, other things to do, etc.? All info will be apperciated! Thank you!

Englewood, Fl.
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whats in this town?

If you check your post Re: West Yellowstone, you will find that of the three towns you mentioned, most would prefer West Yellowstone for the ammenities, and the choices of lodging and dinning, and I would agree. Gardiner is right outside the north gate, and the most convenient to Lamar Valley and the northern range, but people who have stayed there seem to be less than enthusiastic about it.

You mentioned renting through VRBO, and I was curious to hear what they offered in the Gardiner area.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
7,042 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whats in this town?

I have never been to W. Yellowstone but I stayed in Gardiner for two nights when I visited YNP at the end of last summer. I was satisfied w/my experience there. It is a quiet town but there is a good Italian restaurant on the main street before you cross the bridge. There is also a good coffee shop/bakery on the other side of the bridge. Also, the restaurant that is part of the Best Western on this side was acceptable for dinner.

I stayed in town (Riverside Cottages) and found the accommodations there acceptable and the owners were very friendly and helpful.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
758 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whats in this town?

Yes I have been checking the other 2 post that I posted same time as this one.

Yes it does look like everyone prefers West Yellowstone over the other 2 towns.

We are just trying to get some ideas of what else is in each town (sites to see, lakes, rivers, restaurants, shopping, etc., etc.) before making our final decission.

We have never been to that part of the United States (we usually stay close to these Smoky Mountains....LOL....closer to home) But this year we have decided to travel to the north west area.

VRBO has many vacation homes available in all 3 towns I have mentioned. The homes in Island Park look much like the ones we rent in the Gatlinburg TN. area but the other 2 towns has some really cute ones too. And the prices are not bad either or at least we don't think so.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,048 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whats in this town?

We do not like Gardiner. It has very few restaurants, shops, etc. Stay in West Yellowstone. We were there in 2008 and will never stay in Gardiner again.

Scranton...
Level Contributor
166 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whats in this town?

I guess I'm the odd ball out on this one. I did a 10 day trip in Sept 2007 and spent two nights in West Yellowstone, one night in Signal Mountain Lodge in Grand Teton, and five nights in Gardiner. I thought West Yellowstone was WAY too commercialized as did the other three people I was traveling with.

We loved Gardiner for the more authentic feel. And I totally agree about the above posters comments on the Italian Restaurant on the Main st in Gardiner....food was very good.

We loved Gardiner so much we are returning in September this year and staying 7 nights just in Gardiner (and forgoing West Yellowstone all together).

Good luck! No matter what you decide you will love the wildlife and the natural beauty of the park.

6. Re: Whats in this town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 21:17
Get answers to your questions about Gardiner