We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Gardiner for whole summer

Bratislava...
6 posts
Save Topic
Staying in Gardiner for whole summer

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask - me and my girlfriend are most likely going to spend whole summer period (June-Sept.) in Gardiner working (University students). When I saw the place first time, I couldn't help feeling that it is just small village. What do you guys think, would be summer in there worth it ? We are non US citizens, gonna be first time in US.

Regards,

Daniel

Wild West Rafting
Horseback Riding Tours, River Rafting & Tubing
Flying Pig Adventure Company
Horseback Riding Tours, River Rafting & Tubing, Fishing Charters & Tours
Yellowstone Insight - Day Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Photography Tours
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
4,608 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Gardiner for whole summer

Nice small town on the entrance to Yellowstone National park. If you like the outdoors, the only regret you will have is not being there longer.

Bratislava...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Gardiner for whole summer

Thanks for prompt reply :)

Well I I like outdoors, but it's not my greatest passion or love. I am a bit affraid of small town life, as I am pretty standardn young male who loves more life with partues, etc. but maybe the staying in nature will fulfill my need and it will be greatest summer eventually :)

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Gardiner for whole summer

You should set aside some time at the end of summer to go to New York City since it is your first time here. Gardiner is very, very small. Working in the park is a blast though, because there are many young people from all over.

Edited: 25 January 2013, 01:01
Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Gardiner for whole summer

Or San Francisco ;) Or Las Vegas.....

USA
Level Contributor
625 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Gardiner for whole summer

Gardiner is quite small (less than 1000 people) but I would think the mountainous terrain will be very similar to much of Slovakia. What you likely don't have are the thermal features, and possibly the variety of animals you will see in Yellowstone National Park. I'm guessing you will be working in the service industry during the summer tourist season. We see a lot of young Eastern Europeans working the restaurants and motels. You will want to have access to a car or you will want to make friends with other people who have cars, as public transportation there is almost non-existent. There is a university town (Bozeman) about 1.5 hours drive west of Gardiner that will be more lively with lots of young people; it has around 40,000 people.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Gardiner for whole summer

Better not call Slovakia "Eastern" Europe. It's Central Europe....

USA
Level Contributor
625 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Gardiner for whole summer

Tet14 -- interesting comment. I have always thought of Poland, Slovakia, the Czech Republic, Ukraine as Eastern Europe, and evidently so does the UN Statistics Division http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Europe. But given the huge mass of Russia, I can see why Western and Central Europeans might want to further define the continent :-)

I'm hopeful that Daniel and his girlfriend will run into lots of other young students like themselves (international and domestic) working in the park and Gardiner to party with. A good brew is even better in the fresh mountain air than in a smoky city bar (IMHO). They should find people very friendly, especially to an adventuresome couple willing to travel halfway around the world to spend their summer in a foreign country.

Bratislava...
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Gardiner for whole summer

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies :) Now....We would like to reserve some time at the end of the summer, let's say from 15th Sept to 31st Sept to travel all around the US (as this is our main goal - it is work and travel). RobUSA - Funny thing but I live exactly on flat lowland of Slovakia :D And also I don't expect university town to be crawling with student during summer break. My main concern is that I was expecting to get to a bit bigger city than Gardiner with 870 citizens and I am afraid if I don't get bored or anything. If I am right, the population of city itself is only 870 citizens...Is it known how many tourist stay in there trough main season ? It happens to many tourist towns that they are empty trough whole year and overcrowded during summer season, see Calabria in Italy as example...

So my main concern is if there will be enough opportunities to have lovely summer for young people our age and if we don't get cabin fever from being in such a small town (even small for Slovak enviroment ;) )

Also - will 2 week long period ne enough to travel around with money saved from work ?

Many Thanks !

Sincerely,

Daniel

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
4,608 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in Gardiner for whole summer

There are a good number of blogs from people working in or around Yellowstone on the web.

Google blog working in yellowstone

Bratislava...
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying in Gardiner for whole summer

Thank you all guys :) We just got to know - We won't be in located in Gardiner as we originally thought. Gardiner is only the place to first report - HR headquarters is based in there. Upon arrival to Gardiner we will be assigned to one of park's villages (based on park's needs). The employer is Xanterra.

Ystoner - thank you for advice, I sure will search some blogs on this topic.

Get answers to your questions about Gardiner