We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affordable things to do in Helena and surrounding area.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
9 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Affordable things to do in Helena and surrounding area.

We will be traveling to the Helena area in mid June and would love some ideas of inexpensive things to do. There are 2 families traveling with 5 kids ages 12-5, so family friendly is a must.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Gates of the Mountains
National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Cathedral of St. Helena
Sacred & Religious Sites, Architectural Buildings
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Affordable things to do in Helena and surrounding area.

Do you mean right in Helena? If not, what type of radius are you willing to drive?

MT
Level Contributor
268 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Affordable things to do in Helena and surrounding area.

The Great Northern Carousel is fun, has ice cream, and rides for $1.50. Right next door is a kids science museum, though with that many people it may get pricey. It's called Exploration Works if you want to look them up online. There is a community pool/splashpark, but may be too chilly in June. Or, even a just a hike up Mount Helena for free (a 5 year old can do it)! There is also the state park called Spring Meadow. Not super exciting, but a nice place to sit on a sunny day. Also, you can rent a canoe and paddle around the small lake and kids can swim if they don't mind the cold water. If you're here June 12th, that's the Gov Cup race, so there will be stuff going on. Or there is a farmer's market every Sat am downtown.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
9 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Affordable things to do in Helena and surrounding area.

Thank you for all the wonderful ideas. We had looked at the kids museum. Have you been there? Do you like it? We belong to one here and our membership gets us in free in Helena.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
9 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Affordable things to do in Helena and surrounding area.

We are looking to stay within about an hours drive most days. We will be taking 2 days to go up to Glacier and will be coming from seeing Yellowstone. Another other suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

Montana
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Affordable things to do in Helena and surrounding area.

You could fish at one of the lakes in the area, Walk down the walking mall downtown, there's a new ice cream store on it called Big Dipper with very interesting flavors like green tea. On the same block is The Parrot. It has old fashioned sundaes and malts as well as hand made chocolates and candies. It's an interesting place for the kids, a genuine old fashioned soda fountain place. Helena has developed learning experiences for the community and tourists. Go to www.learnmt.com . There is an interesting and well known pottery center called the Archie Brae. The Exploration Works has short classes for kids. Go see our history museum- great western exhibits, our capital is gorgeous inside and there is always the Tour Train outside the History museum. It is one hour long and kids like the ride and it is a great overview of the town. Have fun n Helena!

MT
Level Contributor
268 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Affordable things to do in Helena and surrounding area.

Yes, I've been to the museum. You should definitely go, especially for free! It's not huge, but it's nice and has some fun exhibits the kids can get their hands on.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
9 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Affordable things to do in Helena and surrounding area.

Thanks for the input. We have added it to our list of things to check out. It sounds like my 5 year olds will really enjoy it.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,448 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Affordable things to do in Helena and surrounding area.

Go to www.visitmt.com and research the online travel guide or order one and they will ship it to your house. I just got mine for Montana and Wyoming and it is great maps and lots of things to do and see in each region of the state.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
9 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Affordable things to do in Helena and surrounding area.

Thanks for the info. I got mine about 4 months ago and have found lots of things to see and do. I like to get feed back from people who have been there and try things that I may not have tried other wise. Hope you have a great trip.

USA
Level Contributor
625 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Affordable things to do in Helena and surrounding area.

We did the Gates of the Mountain boat tour when our kids were in that age group, and we all enjoyed it. It's $14 per adult, $8 per child -- not sure if that falls within your affordable range or not. You might also enjoy a visit to Archie Bray campus (archiebray.org/about_us/abf_grounds_location…). Yes, it's art, but it's interesting and quite whimsical and there is outdoor sculpture and art scattered all around the campus that the kids might get a kick out of; best of all, it's FREE to walk around and look into the studios, unless you want to purchase artwork. It's not always on the "tourist" lists.

Get answers to your questions about Helena