We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indoor Mall in Helena

Which Helena hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Indoor Mall in Helena

Hi -

I'm considering a quick trip to Helena for some cross border shopping (we canucks love Target!) and was wondering if anyone had any info on the indoor mall in Helena? I had heard that Dillards closed in the spring and now I cannot find a website for the mall. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Level Contributor
595 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Indoor Mall in Helena

I am going this weekend and I can check it out and let you know. This forum does not seem to get much activity. I know they do have a Walmart there.

USA
Level Contributor
589 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Indoor Mall in Helena

I've heard that the mall in Helena is . . . eh. I'm curious to hear what debbiejo reports.

So, unless you are only interested in Target, Billings or Bozeman or Great Falls might be a better bet.

USA
Level Contributor
589 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Indoor Mall in Helena

P.S. I can't believe the shopping anywhere in Montana would beat Calgary, other than the lack of a sales tax in Montana . . .

Alberta
Level Contributor
660 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Indoor Mall in Helena

Hi Mrs Cupcake, I used to stay in Great Falls in the Spring and make Helena a day trip; I now skip Helena because the drive just doesn't seem worth it to go any further than Great Falls. If you've never done the drive and have an extra day, it is an interesting drive. The indoor mall in Great Falls is bigger than Helena. You're right in that Dillards is gone. As I haven't gone to Helena in a couple of years, the only other draws for me were Macy's (small store) and TJ Maxx. I go to Spokane every fall, which is way better shopping that Great Falls; but I can be happy in Great Falls too. (Alberta residence are tax exempt in Washington at most stores except for Hollister and Abrecrobmie that won't do it). I'm heading out to Spokane this weekend. Trying a different route so that I can check out what the shopping is like in Kalispell before I encourage hubby to think about skiing in Whitefish! Check out the Dollar Tree - I always stock up on gift bags.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Indoor Mall in Helena

Yeah - I would agree that the shopping in Spokane far outshines Montana (it's my preference also - both for the tax exemption and the nice trip) but we just want a really quick trip to hit the major stores. Helena is the destination of choice since it has Costco - we will also be stopping in Great Falls.

Even with all the wonderful shopping here in Calgary, there are just some things that you have to get in the states.

I was just wondering whether the mall in Helena was worth a look or not - since I've never actually checked it out in all my trips south.

Thanks everyone for the info and suggestions! :)

Level Contributor
595 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Indoor Mall in Helena

So, I am here in Helena and want to give you my report while it's fresh in my head. The mall is non-existent. There is Penney's there, a Hallmark store and a Made In Montana gift shop. I did not even bother to park the car. It looked pretty dead and Dillard's is gone. Nothing has been put there. There is a super Walmart here which they have just started to do some remodeling. Part of the floor is being done now. Very good for groceries etc. There is also a Big K, Shopko and Target. They have other stores on Montana Ave. such as Macy's, Ross and Famous Footwear. There is a Costco down by the airport as well as few other stores down there such as Vann's and Bed, Bath & Beyond. I would not say Helena is a great shopper's paradise, but there would be enough here for a day or two if you were passing through. Hope this helps a bit.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Indoor Mall in Helena

Thanks! I sort of figured the mall wasn't really worth any time - there has to be a reason I've never checked it out before.

I appreciate your help!

Helena, Montana
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Indoor Mall in Helena

The NEXT time you come to Helena to shop, try the stores downtown. Sole Sisters is my absolute favorite; higher end but you won't be seeing whatever you buy on everybody and their mother. Great restaurants, unique shops including 2 antique stores on Last Chance Gulch. Just keep walking on the LCG and the the walking mall and you'll be happy. You'll also find the Parrot (great homemade chocolates) and the Big Dipper (homemade ice cream) on the walking mall.

9. Re: Indoor Mall in Helena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2011, 07:34
Get answers to your questions about Helena