We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking trails in the area.

Which Livingston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CHARLOTTE
Level Contributor
824 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking trails in the area.

We are coming to Bozeman the 9th of May for 9 days and would like to hike on some good trails, not long hikes but let's say 2 hours in and then out. I was considering Pray as a base but I can't find much hiking in the area. Would appreciate assistance from those who has knowledge of the area. Thanks in advance. Frank in Charlotte

7 replies to this topic
USA
Level Contributor
592 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking trails in the area.

Trails.com is one place to find hiking trails in the area; if you Google "Livingston Montana hiking" I am sure you'll find more. However trails in early May will likely be snow covered, with deeper snow the higher you go. May is also a rainy month so trails will be muddy.

CHARLOTTE
Level Contributor
824 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking trails in the area.

Thanks for your remarks. We are coming in May because we don't want to again experience the rush of tourists and noisy children.

USA
Level Contributor
592 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking trails in the area.

I prefer hiking in September over May; it's dryer.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking trails in the area.

Are you not interested in Gardiner & Yellowstone?

CHARLOTTE
Level Contributor
824 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking trails in the area.

Good morning from cold Charlotte (9 degrees) and thanks for your post. I am not too interested in Yellowstone but may drive down one day. I am searching for a good area in which there are many trails and a town which would offer good accommodation (not rentals) and a couple of good restaurants. I know hiking is difficult in May if there is a large snowpack but we wanted to come early. I would appreciate your suggestions and we don't have to stay in the Bozeman area all the time.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking trails in the area.

I'm from Red Lodge & am knowledgeable of hikes in Yellowstone, although I have found that in May post-holing through snow & mud on a lot of trails. There are trails in Lamar valley of Yellowstone that have good exposure to dry out mid-late May.

My suggestion for a small town with lots of nearby trails would be Gardiner into Yellowstone :)

Sorry, I can't help you with trails in the BozemanLivingston area as those are just drive-throughs for me.

You might try to post your question on backpacker.com Rocky Mt forums since there are some knowledgeable Montana hikers that hang out there:

http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=SF;f=623107219

Good luck! Let us know what you find.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking trails in the area.

Better link:

http://tinyurl.com/RkyMtHikes

Reply to: Hiking trails in the area.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted