We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Missoula in late September

Which Missoula hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Missoula in late September

I'm coming to Missoula in late September for a concert and want to stay for a couple days and experience the city and country. I'm looking for advice on fun outdoor activities and adventures I might enjoy. I've looked up the river rafting, that seems to be a good option for a day to see the wilderness? Any suggestions on which river and/ which company. I probably would not do the white water rafting, just a nice 1/2 day or full day float to see the country side. Any other fun outdoor activities I should enjoy? I think I will be in Missoula for 3 nights, one night will be the concert. Arrive Friday afternoon and leave Monday morning.

Any thoughts on what I should do in your beautiful city?

Thanks for your help

Montana
Level Contributor
23 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Missoula in late September

Hope you have a great time in Missoula. It's a great base location for all kinds of adventure.

I can't reccomend a company for rafting as we are local and have never hired one. However, your floating options may be somewhat limited in late September. By then the rivers are usually running very low which will probably eliminate the Blackfoot and Bitterroot as options. There will probably be enough water to float the Clark Fork, but it may be AWFULLY slow by then. White water really is a LOT of fun and you will see some very nice scenery if you do the Alberton Gorge so you might want to consider it.

As for other outdoor activities? There are many hiking trails close to town for all levels if that's something that interests you. A trip up to Rock Creek is always a fun way to spend the day. You can either fish or hike or just enjoy the scenery. For a strictly driving adventure drive an hour over the the National Bison Range. There is good wildlife and bird viewing there - especially if you go early in the day. Good birdwatching is also available at the Lee Metcalf National Wildlife Refuge.

You might want to head up Hwy 200 to Seeley Lake and rent a canoe or a boat for the day.

Whatever you do, be safe. This isn't LA and there isn't cell phone service in a lot of areas so if you get yourself lost or in trouble you may be on your own.

2. Re: Missoula in late September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2014, 19:15
Get answers to your questions about Missoula