We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car trip from SF to Missoula

turin
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
car trip from SF to Missoula

Hi everybody,

we are planning a car trip from SF to Missoula in early august, we have around one week, can you suggest a nice itineray, with thing to see, natura place to stay....

thanks a lot

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car trip from SF to Missoula

Already posted in the California forum so I know you mean San Francisco and not Santa Fe ;)

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car trip from SF to Missoula

Welcome to the Forum, Steve. I have taken this trip by car many times. You have approx. 20 hours of drive time in each direction, so if you drive in a relaxed manner with stops, that's 2.5 to 3 days of drive time in each direction. Of course you can also do it in 2 days of nothing but driving. If you've got one week to spend, that doesn't leave you with much time for fun stuff along the way.

Quickest route is get on CA I-5, then cut over to Klamath Falls in OR, head up to Bend, OR, then on to Ritzville, WA, up to Spokane, WA, and over to Missoula. I know that mapquest says taking the I-5 through OR is faster, but that's not usually the case, and it's certainly not as nice.

As you plan your route and can better determine just how much time you have, if you ask more specific questions we'll be able to give more specific answers.

turin
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: car trip from SF to Missoula

yes, thanks.

turin
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: car trip from SF to Missoula

Hi, thanks a lot for your kindness and quick replay. Your information are already precious, as soon as I better know, I will write you the details,

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car trip from SF to Missoula

I don't want to be negative on Montana, but have you considered visiting Bend, Oregon instead? They are somewhat similar, and it is a much shorter drive so you'll be able to do a lot more.

Missoula is a jumping off point, and it is a very big state.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car trip from SF to Missoula

Just curious if the OP wants to see some fantastic NPs on the way like Yosemite and Yellowstone in that week.

turin
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: car trip from SF to Missoula

We have to be in Missoula for a rafting trip, so I wander which is the best way to see natura, interesting place and people on our way to there in 7days

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car trip from SF to Missoula

You might want to check flights on Alaska/Horizon to buy some time.

Edited: 30 June 2013, 14:05
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car trip from SF to Missoula

For a one way trip to Missoula from San Francisco I suggest.

1. SF-Yosemite

2. Yosemite

3,4 Drive to Yellowstone

5.6: Yellowstone

7. Yellowstone to Missoula.

10. Re: car trip from SF to Missoula

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2015, 22:15
Get answers to your questions about Missoula