We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beartooth Hwy or Chief Joseph

Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Topic
Beartooth Hwy or Chief Joseph

Do you think either of these will be open around the 20th or so of May?

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,739 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beartooth Hwy or Chief Joseph

Quoting form the site below, "This famous highway is also popularly known as Sunlight Basin Road and is open almost all year round, allowing backcountry skiers and snowmobilers access to the Beartooth Pass area. Only an eight mile section of the road (between Cooke City, Montana and Pilot Creek, Wyoming) is not plowed in the winter and typically opens up in May." That eight mile section might be the problem with an enormous amount of snow in that area this year.

codywyomingnet.com/attractions/chief_joseph_…

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beartooth Hwy or Chief Joseph

RM-NM is quoting Chief Joseph hw. Beartooth highway generally will be closed between mid october and Memorial day but we already had closures in september some time. So Beartooth prob. will be closed around may 20.

Tet

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beartooth Hwy or Chief Joseph

Sorry, must be RM-MN, not RM-NM

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
558 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beartooth Hwy or Chief Joseph

If you were only doing half of the Chief Joseph, which is most scenic? We are going from Cody to Red Lodge to stay the night there and do the Beartooth the following am, but I'd like to check out a portion of the Chief Joseph. We can either do that when leaving Cody then backtrack, or do it at the end of the Beartooth. The only other way to do it is to take the CJ up to the Beartooth, then on to Red Lodge, and repeat the Beartooth going the other way the next am. I'm not too hot on that so thought I could just maybe pick up a section of the CJ. Any thoughts? We are definite on staying the night in RL- kids have to see the pig races!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beartooth Hwy or Chief Joseph

Snorkelgirlie, here's what I would do. Drive from Red Lodge over Beartooth Pass in the am. Then drive to the left on CJ highway (296) for a dozen of miles or so. Then drive back and to Cooke City. Our last Beartooth Pass drive was some 4 years ago but our visit to that part of CJ was longer ago but if I remember correctly, the most beautiful part was that stretch. Maybe one of the local members can give you more specific info.

Tet

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
558 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beartooth Hwy or Chief Joseph

Thanks Tet. Can anyone else confirm that this northernmost stretch of the CJ is the most scenic if i have to make a choice? Thanks a lot!

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
594 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beartooth Hwy or Chief Joseph

Just returned from a fabulous 2 week trip from SD to Jackson Hole, WY!

We stayed at the Cody Cowboy Village and took the scenic route thru Chief Joseph Highway straight into the Beartooth Highway. My favorite was Chief Joseph. It was so cold up on the top of the Beartooth highway mountain! We then headed into Clark, Montana and had lunch there -headed into Yellowstone to the caynons-then straight to the Lake Hotel. All on motorcycle!! What a heck of a beautiful ride.

I would love to live out there someday!!!

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beartooth Hwy or Chief Joseph

Snokelgirlie, we just returned and left Cody and did the CJ highway then took a right onto Beartooth and drove to Red Lodge for the night, returning over the east-west direction of the Beartooth in the early morning light for pictures. We then went into Cooke City and entered the park from the NE entrance. If I recall correctly, I think the northern portion of Chief Joseph had a bit more dramatic landscape (although the entire road was pretty scenic)

Beartooth was pretty chilly but it was awesome to see snowfields edged with wildflowers!

9. Re: Beartooth Hwy or Chief Joseph

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 06:23
Get answers to your questions about Red Lodge
Recent Conversations