We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pig racing

dwm
West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
111 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
pig racing

Hi,

Has anyone been to the pig racing at the Bear Creek Saloon? Is it fun?!

Thanks

David

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
556 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pig racing

"During the summer season (Memorial Day through Labor Day) pig races are held Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 7:00 p.m. There are 12 nightly races on a 15 minute schedule featuring such stars as Makin' Bacon, Knuckles and Nota Hot Dog. The winning pig pays out one-half of each $50 race pot. The other half goes toward scholarships for Carbon County high school students. A white wire fence borders the mini oval stadium complete with ads on the walls, which is located outside the back of the restaurant. From a balcony fans witness the moves of their favorite pig. These pigs can fly! How? Drop by the races, stay awhile and learn the secret.

And to satisfy that human urge to eat, bite into a variety of 100% Montana beef steaks or opt for Cajun shrimp and grilled chicken. Looking for a pork chop? Don't even go there. These 20- to 90- pound racers are well cared for and adored! Ready to pig out? Give the Bear Creek Saloon a call.

"***

While in Red Lodge stop by the BearCreek Saloon in BearCreek MT, it's a fabulous steakhouse and they have live piglet races that you can actually wager on.

Now, let's get to the pigs. Every fifteen minutes, a call goes out over the P.A. system, announcing the next race. Yes, race. In the back of Bear Creek Saloon is Bear Creek Downs, the premier pig racing establishment in the state, possibly in the whole region of the country. Set up like a minor league stadium with ads all over the walls, a white-wire fence surrounds a track that's sunk down from the balcony so fans can witness their favorite make an inside move and go for the gold. Five piggies are corralled into a gen-uine starting gate, and at the sound of a bell the gates lift and the little pink and black buggers are off! Occasionally, one might get confused and not be able to find its way out of the starting block, but the others take off like lightning. Pigs can move like lightning when they know there's some food waiting at the end of the track. I have to admit that my pig picking ability was top-notch. I picked the winner in the first two. My secret: always bet on black. Or #4. Or the one that has the best name, like Pumpkin Butt, Raquel Belch, and -- my personal favorite and reigning champion -- Knuckles. I got to say I was a little apprehensive about pig racing at first, but after a number of Bud drafts and that food weighing in my belly, not even the smell of these little hoggies could stop me from whooping it up when Flying Oinker crossed the finish line, leaving Corn Dog, Justa Weiner, and Nota Hot Dog to eat its dust.

The saloon is open at 5pm from Thursdays through Sundays, during summer months only. All moneys raised at the event are donated toward local scholarships for students in Carbon County. Bear Creek Saloon and Pig Races are located on Highway 308, seven miles east of Red Lodge, Montana."

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pig racing

This sounds like a lot of fun..definately on my "must do" list when we are in Red Lodge in July!

thanks for posting the details, snorkelgirlie!

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
556 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pig racing

Of all the research I've done and the money we plan on spending entertaining my 9 and 12 year old boys, THIS is what they are most excited about doing!!! It does sound fun, we will be doing it in June on the night of our 15th anniversary. Now that is the height of romantic, huh?!!

dwm
West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
111 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pig racing

Thankyou! Think this will definitely go on our schedule!

David

florida
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: pig racing

How much do you bet?

Are kids allowed in the saloon?

Thanks!

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
556 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pig racing

Not sure what the bets are but I spoke with the chamber to check if kids can go and she said yes, in fact there's also a playground area for little kids there.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
426 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: pig racing

We took our kids to the pig races when they were about 11 and 14--they had a blast. The food was good and the pig races were hilarious. Can't remember how much the bets were but I recall very cheap, like $2. It was pretty much the highlight of the trip for them!

florida
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: pig racing

Hi,

We went this summer and had a blast. It is a cool little place right outside of Red Lodge.

They run races like every 30 min. I think a total of 10 or 12...or depending if they fill the card. It is $2 a bet with a prize of $25 and the last race is $5 with a prize of $100.

You don't pick a particular pig (it seemed like the same two won every race) but pick a square on a paper and then they draw who gets each pig so only the number of pigs get people picked. You do not always get a chance in each race.

My daughter won $25 and both kids pigs came in second and thrid on the last race...but hey it is all for a good cause...and the food was good.

9. Re: pig racing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 22:18
Get answers to your questions about Red Lodge