We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Family trip to Yellowstone

Which West Yellowstone hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Bend, WA
Level Contributor
32 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
1st Family trip to Yellowstone

I have made a reservation for us at the three bears lodge at the west entrance to Yellowstone. The main reason is that it looks like a good value for the money (am I correct in this assumption?), and the kids have to have a pool and to the best of my knowledge none of the establishments in the park have a pool. We are arriving on a Tuesday afternoon in August and leaving midday on Friday. Will this give us enough time to see the park, or should we stay an extra day? Also, we are coming from Glacier park if anyone has a recommendation for a hotel in Kalispell or Whitefish!!! Thanks!

Tomah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
473 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Family trip to Yellowstone

Yes, the Three Bears is a nice place - I'm sure you'll like it. And, no, I don't believe that anyplace in YNP has a pool (unless you count the rivers and hot springs...).

Two days is good to see the highlights, but don't expect a lot of time to get out and "do" a lot of stuff (hiking, swimming, etc...). There can be a lot of traffic on the road at that time of year, which will tend to slow you down some.

Have a great trip!

West Yellowstone, MT
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Family trip to Yellowstone

You'll enjoy the Three Bear Lodge. It's clean and comfortable and located right across from the old Union Pacific Railroad depot with a museum inside (and there's a large pool!). It is also just a couple of blocks from the main street of shops and eating places.

Your kids may enjoy going to the Grizzly Wolf Discovery Center Tuesday night where there is a great interactive bear exhibit and live wolves and bears to see.

You'll have Weds & Thursday in the Park and have time to go to the main areas of interest such as Old Faithful, The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone (don't miss the Supervolcano exhibit at the Canyon Visitor's Center), and Mammoth. If your kids are old enough and like to hike, there are many short trails to try, you might want to schedule another day.

3. Re: 1st Family trip to Yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 06:27
Get answers to your questions about West Yellowstone