We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West Yellowstone to Cody - Best route and things to see

3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
West Yellowstone to Cody - Best route and things to see

Hi. I I am staying near the west entrance Saturday 8/12 night and have to catch a flight home from Cody at 6pm on Sunday 8/13. Per Google map, I can cut across YNP. Can you please provide some feedback if this is good idea or not? If so, provide some sight seeing ideas along the way?

Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,559 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West Yellowstone to Cody - Best route and things to see

Will you have spent any time in Yellowstone?

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,803 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West Yellowstone to Cody - Best route and things to see

You really don't have a choice about taking a route thru the park. It would add hours and hours if you were to drive around the park.

It looks like from your other thread in the Grand Teton forum that you will be driving from the Grand Tetons to West Yellowstone on the day of the 12th.

On that first day I would go via the Old Faithful area and then on your drive from West Yellowstone to Cody I would go via the Canyon area.

Here are some time frames to keep in mind:

West Yellowstone to Canyon area - 1.5 hours drive time. Add time for sightseeing.

Canyon to Fishing Bridge - 30-45 minutes if you don't get in to a wildlife jam

Fishing Bridge to Cody - 2 hours drive time

I realize it is late but you might try to get lodging at either Lake or Canyon instead of going out to West Yellowstone. Check the Xanterra site at www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com Even this late in the game you might find a cancellation so keep looking. Don't just stop if everything looks full. Do not try to book thru a 3rd party booker.

Mentioned in this post
West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: West Yellowstone to Cody - Best route and things to see

In addition to the excellent advice offered above, keep in mind that you will also pay the entry fee for Yellowstone, unless you have an annual or lifetime pass. The combo Grand Teton and Yellowstone pass is $50. At that rate, I'd suggest just springing the extra $30 for an annual pass for ALL national parks and monuments. If you do even one more park or monument, it will have paid for itself and you never know when you'll have the chance to do another!

Mentioned in this post
4. Re: West Yellowstone to Cody - Best route and things to see

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: yesterday, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about West Yellowstone