We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 day itinerary for Yellowstone raveling from Jackson, WY

Green Bay
2 posts
Save Topic
3 day itinerary for Yellowstone raveling from Jackson, WY

We will be traveling to Yellowstone in early October, traveling from and returning to Jackson, WY. What would be a good itinerary and where would be places to spend the nights (2 nights total)? I will be traveling with my husband and 26 year-old son. As a side note, I will be approximately 2 months post-knee replacement, although in good physical condition prior to surgery.

Edited: 10 August 2017, 19:48
Mentioned in this post
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
3 replies to this topic
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,803 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 day itinerary for Yellowstone raveling from Jackson, WY

You are welcome to join us on the Wyoming forum where there is a Yellowstone forum.

October can be iffy as far as weather but since it looks like you are from Green Bay you can probably handle it.

Here are the closing dates for the services in Yellowstone.

https:/…hours.htm

Depending on your dates, there may still be some lodging open. Book only thru Xanterra, the lodging concessionaire, at www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com Do NOT book with a 3rd party provider.

I would pick a night at Old Faithful and a night at Canyon if they are open during your time frame. If you need to stay in a gateway city, since it is only 2 nights, I'd stay in West Yellowstone for both nights.

There may be a road closure when you are there. The road between Mammoth and Norris will be closed for road construction from Sept 10- Oct 6.

https:/…parkroads.htm

Once you figure out your lodging and have reservations, I'm happy to give you an idea of how to structure your days on the Yellowstone forum.

Mentioned in this post
Wyoming
Wyoming
United States
Green Bay
Green Bay
Wisconsin
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
4,110 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 day itinerary for Yellowstone raveling from Jackson, WY

D0bby is the queen of itineraries, so trust everything she says!

My only other concern would be the potential for park shutdown. I cross my fingers every year as October approaches that congress won't deal us a blow in shutting down the government. Time will tell. If that should happen, there is plenty to do in and around Jackson, West Yellowstone or Cody. Come back for questions if needed.

Mentioned in this post
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,803 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 day itinerary for Yellowstone raveling from Jackson, WY

Nooooooo!!! <whine> I am not even going to think about a shut-down. Too depressing for words. But you are right to bring it up as a Plan B is always good to have either for shutdown or weather.

Reply to: 3 day itinerary for Yellowstone raveling from Jackson, WY
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about West Yellowstone