We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone Itinerary

Vermont
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Yellowstone Itinerary

Good Afternoon, I am hoping you can assist with an itinerary. We will be staying in West Yellowstone arriving late Tuesday, 9/5, departing early morning, Friday, 9/8 giving us two days to visit Yellowstone. Would like help planning an itinerary that would include the following:

Grand Canyon

Grand Prismatic Spring

Artist Point

Upper Geyser Basin

Lamar Valley

Old Faithful

We are "fairly" fit 54 - 62 year young adults, so easy to moderate hiking would be great. Any suggestions of additional sites, if time allows, would also be appreciated.

Thank you, in advance, for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Prismatic Spring
Grand Prismatic Spring
2,461 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Artist Point
Artist Point
1,072 Reviews
Upper Geyser Basin
Upper Geyser Basin
1,079 Reviews
Lamar Valley
Lamar Valley
2,485 Reviews
3 replies to this topic
Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
3,203 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone Itinerary

I would suggest spending one day exploring the north half of the Figure 8 road loop, and the second day exploring the southern half. If you look at the YNP map on their website, it will show you where the sights you listed are located on those loops: www.nps.gov/yell That will give you the latitude to pick and choose where you want to concentrate spending your time.

If you prefer more micromanaging, post your question on the YNP forum in Wyoming. There are several people there who love to work out more detailed plans. Just remember that this is your trip, so choose according to your own preferences.

Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Wyoming
Wyoming
United States
West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone Itinerary

Agree with what heypaula said.

As far as moderate hikes, a few of my favorites include:

- Mystic Falls which departs from the back of Biscuit Basin, just north of Old Faithful. I believe it's 3-3.5 miles and can be done as out and back or as a loop.

- Storm Point which departs from the Indian Pond trailhead east of Fishing Bridge general store and visitor center. 2.5 mile lollipop loop.

- Wraith Falls which departs east of Mammoth Hot Springs on the road between Mammoth and Roosevelt. It's near Undine Falls but I can't recall off the top of my head if it's just east or just west of Undine (which can be a simple park and peek). Wraith is about a 1 m. RT out and back.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Biscuit Basin
Biscuit Basin
341 Reviews
Mammoth Hot Springs
Mammoth Hot Springs
1,736 Reviews
Vermont
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone Itinerary

Thank you! I appreciate your suggestions.

Reply to: Yellowstone Itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about West Yellowstone