We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in Yellowstone/Tetons area plus Moab??

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
601 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
2 weeks in Yellowstone/Tetons area plus Moab??

Hi, we love Moab and did a great tour arounds SW Utah for 2 weeks, taking in Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon, Arches etc. flying into Vegas. For our next trip, although we'd like to visit Moab again, Yellowstone and the Tetons looks interesting. Do you think it's feasible in 2 wks to visit this area and see the highlights. I know you could spend months in these areas. We're into short, 2-3 hour hikes and mountain biking and admiring amazing scenery. I guess Salt Lake would be best to fly into although we can get reasonable, direct flights to Vegas which is tempting, although obviously a longer drive.

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks in Yellowstone/Tetons area plus Moab??

Two weeks would be great. In June, we loved it and had only 8 days. You should have time to see some of the surrounding communities as well.

I don't know when you're going but the accomodations are already getting full for 2008. Don't delay in getting reservations.

If you'd like to see out pictures and information from our trips, you can check our website. There's more there from Yellowstone than Grand Teton but enough to let you see how beautiful the Tetons are.

www.AlandSueJohnson.com

Yellowstone link is at the top left.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks in Yellowstone/Tetons area plus Moab??

In 2 weeks you might fly Denver, then visit South Dakota (Badlands, Black Hills) first, drive to Yellowstone and Grand Teton and leave from Salt Lake City or drive back to Denver. Or fly SLC and back from Denver. Perfectly doable in 2 weeks. Another option is to add Glacier NP to your trip. Combined with Yellowstone etc. also 2 weeks are perfect for it. Keep in mind, Going to the Sun road in Glacier might be closed till end of june.

Tet

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,090 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks in Yellowstone/Tetons area plus Moab??

I would maybe focus on Tetons, Yellowstone and maybe some of the surrounding areas of Montana and Wyoming. There are many wonderful state parks in these 2 states, great natural and historic sites.

www.nps.gov/yell

http://fwp.mt.gov/parks/default.html

http://wyoparks.state.wy.us/

You could also as mentioned, drive up to Glacier too.

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
842 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks in Yellowstone/Tetons area plus Moab??

Since it's not exactly a hop, skip and a jumb from England to the western US, I'd skip Moab since you've already been there. (I'm 66 years old and am trying to see as many places as I can while I can. When I go somewhere, I assume I'll never visit again so I try to get as much as I can out of a visit.)

A couple of years ago my wife and I flew into SLC (from Atlanta) and drove to Dinoasaur NP and then to Yellowstone/Teton. There was little to see the way we went and it's a little over 300 miles. I'd suggest checking on Delta flights and flying into SLC (a Delta hub) and take one of Delta's commuter flights to Jackson Hole. Jackson Hole or Teton Village (near Jackson Hole and just south of the park) is a beautiful area. Teton NP has many hiking trails of 1 to 3 hours and it's beautiful with many lakes. You can enter the park at Teton Village on Hwy 390. Part of the road is gravel, but easily traveled in a car. As you leave Teton NP you enter Yellowstone. Depending on how thorough you are with sightseeing, you can easily spend a week in Yellowstone. I'd say a minimum of 3 to 4 full days. The park is large and can be crowded in the summer, so make your reservations now. There's no "central" place to stay in Yellowstone, so I'd think about staying at a couple or three different places unless you don't mind driving. If you prefer staying at one place, probably the most central hotel is Yellowstone Lodge at the north shore of Yellowstone Lake.

If you have time, I'd drive to Glacier NP (about 425 miles). I'm going to Glacier for the first time this summer. I think the Going to the Sun Road (the one through the park) may not open until early to mid June, but you can check with the National Park Service.

I'd fly out of Kalispell (near Glacier NP) to get back home.

After thinking about it, I'd let my hiking involve sightseeing, especially at Yellowstone. You'll get in a lot of walking at Yellowstone just seeing the different things. One hike to think about in Teton NP is to go to jenny Lake and catch a boat taxi across the lake and take about a 1 to 1/12 mile hike to a great vista.

Finally I always invest $100 to $200 in travel books so I can familiarize myself as much as possible about where i'm going. The best one I found for Yellowstone is "Yellowstone Treasures" by Janet Chapple, published by Granite Peak Publications, Providence, RI, USA or www.yellowstonetreasures.com. If Amazon is available in England, it's a great place to look.

Good luck.

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
842 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks in Yellowstone/Tetons area plus Moab??

Look at this link:

www.alandsuejohnson.com/yellowstone_np.htm

They also replied to you earlier. I didn't proof read my previous post so please accept my apologies for any typos.

Also look at other posts re: Yellowstone, Teton and Glacier on this forum.

6. Re: 2 weeks in Yellowstone/Tetons area plus Moab??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 16:19