We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone, Grand Tetons & Moab itinerary??

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
674 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
Yellowstone, Grand Tetons & Moab itinerary??

Hi - can any of you helpful folk cast an eye over my rough itinerary and give me any views?

Sat arrive (from uk) and overnight SLC near airport

Sun collect car and drive to Jackson. Overnight Jackson

Mon G T NP (walk to jenny's lake, main sights) overnight in park (possibly jackson lake?)

Tue more time in tetons then drive to west yellowstone later in day

Weds yellowstone

thurs yellowstone

Fri yellowstone leave late pm and drive towards moab - overnight somewhere (recommendations?)

Sat arrive moab late pm (need to arrive Moab by Sunday to meet some mountain biking group)

Would you drop a day in yellowstone and stay tetons longer? I know it's expensive in the park but don't mind one night to save travelling back to Jackson. Would you stay north of yellowstone or just in west yellowstone?

We'll be in Moab for a few days and then need to return the SLC for the following Sunday. We may go via highway 12 (been before) to see Bryce again or possibly via dinosaurland?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
674 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone, Grand Tetons & Moab itinerary??

p.s - we may be able to fly a day earlier either end which would give us a day longer in yellowstone/g tetons area as we've never been before.

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone, Grand Tetons & Moab itinerary??

If you can add a day to Yellowstone, you should. Not a knock on GTNP but Yellowstone is huge and amazing.

Jackson Lake Lodge isn't cheap but we really liked it. You should probably search and find about Colter Bay cabins and Signal Mountain Lodge too.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,392 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone, Grand Tetons & Moab itinerary??

Yellowstone is huge and you really need 3 days to see the bare minimum. Here's some ideas:

Sat - arrive SLC

Sun - To Jackson. Visit the town of Jackson and Tetons in late afternoon/evening.

Mon - Tetons - your hiking day. Also visit Colter Bay area to see the Indian Arts museum.

Tue - Tetons in morning, then drive up to West YS mid day. That way you can see some of Yellowstone on the way.

Weds - YS Try to get to Hayden Valley or Lamar Valley early to see wildlife. Also dusk is a good time for wildlife as well.

Thurs- YS again.

Fri - See Yellowstone until mid afternoon, then drive to Alpine WY or Montpelier ID for the night.

Sat - Long drive 7-9 hours depending on where you stay.

Sun - Moab

Mon - Moab

Tue - Moab

Wed - Moab

Thu - Drive to Bryce via Hwy 12

Fri - Bryce

Sat - Return to SLC

Sun - Depart

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
674 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellowstone, Grand Tetons & Moab itinerary??

We're now flying in on a thurs and would like to be in moab for following fri eve.

fri get car and drive to jackson

sat tetons and overnight in the park

sun tetons in am and then to y/stone

mon y/stone

tues y/stone

weds y/stone

thurs leave y/stone and drive to park city?? overnight

fri leave park city and drive to moab

this then allows more time at y/stone than the tetons. i was thinking of west yellowstone the first night then up to gardiner for the others? would you move around or stay put somewhere?

Lake of the Ozarks...
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellowstone, Grand Tetons & Moab itinerary??

mrspink-I actually did a large part of the trip you are taking last August. Sturgis, ND to YNP to Tetons to SLC to Moab-then back home to Missouri via Colorado & Kansas. I suggest you take one of the days you have slated for YNP and drive Beartooth Highway in Montana-esp. if you don't ever plan on being in this area again. You won't be disappointed. While in YNP, you turn towards Cooke City at Tower Junction. The beauty is unparalleled and will take your breath away. I stayed overnight at Soda Butte Lodge in Cooke City, MT back in 2001 and found it to be adequate. There is a restaurant on site which is convenient. Check out the following website:www.beartoothhighway.com Don't know where you are planning to stay in Jackson, but I stayed 2 nights at Wagon Wheel Village last summer and the location is wonderful. It is right on the main highway leading north out of Jackson and you may easily walk downtown from there. Hope this helps and enjoy your vacation!

6. Re: Yellowstone, Grand Tetons & Moab itinerary??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 16:16
Get answers to your questions about West Yellowstone