We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone park

Which West Yellowstone hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Yellowstone park

Hi all

If I was to come to Yellowstone park for a few days, where would you recommend staying and what should I see there? Also, any ideas where the nearest big airport is?

lastly, if we then drive to San Fran where would be a good place to stop off in between, are there any sites to see on the way (other than reno?)

Thanks

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone park

You're actually planning your trip a little late if this is for 2010. Here's a link to planning information we put on our website. I think it answers all your questions except the one about driving to San Francisco. I have no idea on that anyway.

alandsuejohnson.com/yellowstone_planning_a_t…

Basically, you want to stay in the park if you can. www.travelyellowstone.com is the site you use. You'll probably need to call their 800 number to see about cancellations. I imagine tha park is full for this summer but the do get cancellations since people plan so far in advance.

Salt Lake City, UT is the nearest large airport. It will leave you a 5 - 6 hour drive to the parks. Jackson Hole, WY is smaller and costs more but puts you right in Grand Teton National Park and a couple of hours south of the main road in Yellowstone.

USA
Level Contributor
589 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone park

Most people who fly in to visit Yellowstone fly in to Bozeman, Montana (BZN).

As far as the drive to SF, we've made the trip before, and have stopped overnight in Elko and Winnemuca, Nevada -- a 2 day trip.

USA
Level Contributor
589 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone park

tiggerjr82: AKJ's trip page (he posted a link) has some very good advice (except for the advice about lots of film . . . that's just for photo buffs like AKJ . . . the rest of us carry a little digital in our pocket :-)! Check it out.

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellowstone park

We had 2 big digitals. Spare batteries and a notebook to off load them to.

5. Re: Yellowstone park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2010, 09:05