We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter Trip To West Yellowstone?

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Winter Trip To West Yellowstone?

The wife and I are considering a return to Yellowstone this winter. We were there with another couple in January about 12 years ago and loved it although the trip was only 3-4 days as I remember. On that trip we stayed at the north entrance in Mammoth Hot Springs but this time we're thinking about staying outside the park and perhaps in West Yellowstone and staying 7-8 days in January or perhaps February..

On our previous trip we rented our own snowmobiles and rode down on Old Faithful and back which was amazing. Am I correct in understanding you can no longer take rides in the park on your own but have to use a group/guide?

We've never skied but wouldn't mind trying it. Is it easy to get basic lessons in or near the town?

What else is there to do in the town of West Yellowstone in the winter?

Are the roads a problem? Will likely have a rental 4x4.

What about driving to Jackson Hole or other areas nearby? We may try to add a couple nights in another area after our stay in W.Y.

Thanks,

Chris

Edited: 01 November 2010, 01:18
New York, NY
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter Trip To West Yellowstone?

You are correct. All snowmobiles allowed into Yellowstone must be with a licensed guide. You can join a group (price varies) or hire a private guide for around $400 a day, plus the cost of your equipment

2. Re: Winter Trip To West Yellowstone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2011, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about West Yellowstone