We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Bozeman to West Yellowstone

Boston...
Level Contributor
31 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Bozeman to West Yellowstone

We (family of 4 with boys 16 and 14) are flying into Bozeman (arrive 10:30am) and driving to West Yellowstone to start our Yellowstone and Grand Teton vacation. Does anyone have suggestions of things to do in Bozeman, Big Sky or West Yellowstone for our first day?

We have tossed around horseback riding or ATV - really just looking for something fun and active after many hours in a plane. Names of specific outfitters are greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Monclova
2 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Drive from Bozeman to West Yellowstone

Hi, I wanted to hike Mt Washburn when I come out next weekend -- but according to the Yellowstone conditions page (http://www.nps.gov/yell/conditions.htm) --- "The clearing of Dunraven Pass has been pushed back two weeks. The road between Canyon Village and Tower Fall is now expected to open Friday, June 10, weather permitting."

So I'm not sure how to get there, plus snow! Gonna search more on these forums or wing it when I get there.

Boston...
Level Contributor
31 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Drive from Bozeman to West Yellowstone

I think you may have meant to start a new thread rather than continue on this one - not sure. I know there has been a lot of flooding in Montana - not sure how that is impacting the park. I think you may want to go thru the West entrance - but I know that does not address the hiking issue. Sorry :(

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
22,190 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Drive from Bozeman to West Yellowstone

Go to the Wyoming forum where there is a specific forum on Yellowstone. I doubt Mt Washburn will be *hikeable* by next weekend as they are getting more snow today. Go here to look at the Mt Washburn web cams.

www.nps.gov/yell/photosmultimedia/webcams.htm

There is a rockslide that has closed the road from Mammoth to Tower and they have pulled the road crews off Beartooth to work on getting Dunraven pass open so people can have access to Roosevelt Lodge, Lamar Valley and so that the people in Silver Gate and Cooke City can get to Gardiner.

You will have a great time anyway, even if you can't hike Mt Washburn.

Pam

Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
101 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Drive from Bozeman to West Yellowstone

Thank you ESJM for asking the question, and Pam for such a great answer!!!

You would not believe how difficult it is to find any itinerary-type info that includes any real detail. I was going piece by piece around the park, and just happened upon this when researching the best/easiest location to view Grand Prismatic from above.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Drive from Bozeman to West Yellowstone

With two teens, how about a walk through the Montana State University campus? They'll take you on a tour if you want one. Bozeman is a great college town.

For a good memory, get lunch up there at the Pickle Barrel on College Ave., then walk up to campus to eat it. You get a free pickle with every sandwich but you have to get it out of the barrel yourself. There are no seats. I recommend Turkey and Cheese, or Cheesesteak and Mushroom (personally ). They're not true to Philly or anything but it is a local institution.

From the college drive down Willson, a beautiful tree-lined boulevard, down to main street. It's a nice walk to stretch your legs, too. At the far end, you can get homemade pie at the Western Cafe as people have been doing for 40 years or so. The pie comes out at 2pm, by my recollection.

From there, head down to the park. The days are long and you'll have plenty of time to do a hike and get settled in.

Stop and pick up a box full of staple foods at the grocery stores or your trip will really set you back. Food inside the park is very limited and very expensive. You might want to bring a dorm room style hot pot to boil water for oatmeal and cup noodles. Also stock up on fruit and bars as well as crackers, cheese and salami for trail lunches. Don't forget water bottles. Some powdered gatorade mix is usually appreciated.

Edited: 08 June 2011, 04:54
16. Re: Drive from Bozeman to West Yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2012, 05:18