We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing

Powhatan, Virginia
Level Contributor
421 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing

Looking at a group visit late May, early June. The guys are interested in fly fishing. Would they be able to or would it be too early in the season?

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing

Here is a link to the page on fishing within the park: www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/fishing.htm

Note the season dates and fishing regulations page states that fishing opens Memorial Day weekend. Not sure about outside the park.

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,804 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing

I would suggest contacting one of the many fly-fishing shops in West Yellowstone - there's a list on the Chamber of Commerce website. They would be happy to give you lots of info about fishing outside the park. Be sure to let them know what level of experience the people interested have. It could be lots of fun, but will depend on the weather, water levels, and run-off etc. - hard to predict from year to year.

Here's the website: destinationyellowstone.com/categories/fishing Click on the individual shops for contact info. Have Fun!

Edited: 07 December 2013, 15:35
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
4,243 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing

Fishing inside Yellowstone (most not all) opens Memorial weekend. Outside is already open. But what and where there is good fishing depends on the weather and runoff conditions. The shops in West Yellowstone can give good advice on what, when, where and how.

Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing

A great time to go fishing! I highly recommend Riverside Anglers and Madison River Outfitters.

Marcellus, New York
Level Contributor
928 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing

My husband and son hit some streams last summer, and got great advice at Bud Lilly on where to try, and also what flies had been hitting well. I know the spot they ended up fishing was a drive north, parallel to the park border, from West Yellowstone, and then they hiked into the park from there. The nice thing about that was not needing to deal with park traffic during the summer. They caught a few really nice browns (hubby estimated 14-16 inches) that trip.

I am sure they will check out the requirements for fishing in the park, but personally I was surprised by all the details involved. In certain areas, specific types of fish caught must be released while others must be killed instead. I am more of a catch and release gal, so that was a little sad for me.

Good luck, and hope the trip goes well!

6. Re: Fishing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2015, 06:19