We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days should we allow?

Orangevale, CA
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How many days should we allow?

We are going to Yellowstone next year in August and are planning on 6 nights, Is that enoung time to see most of Yellowstone?

Thank you for your help.

Mentioned in this post
AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days should we allow?

That's long enough to let you feel like you saw it all. We were there for 3 days last July and loved it. We're going back in June.

If you stay in one place, you'll spend a lot of time in the car. I couldn't relate to how big the place is until we got there. In July we stayed at Old Faithful Inn. Next time we're staying at Canyon and Roosevelt. We get a week this time.

If you want to read about our trip and planning, we put a trip report and pictures on our web site.

www.alandsuejohnson.com

click on the bison.

We flew into Jackson Hole if that matters.

Mentioned in this post
West Yellowstone, MT
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days should we allow?

Angel's Mom- You should have enough time to relax and fit in some fun activities. If you are bringing younger children with you, make sure to sign up for the Junior Ranger program (see the insider pages for Yellowstone Park for more information). You can also take time to hike, take a boating trip on Yellowstone Lake, take a tour, go to the visitor's centers (the new one at Canyon is really neat and all about supervolcanoes), try a chuckwagon dinner, etc. just depending on what you want to do!

Mentioned in this post
Yellowstone Lake
Yellowstone Lake
1,519 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Orangevale, CA
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days should we allow?

Thank you for your responses.

We are going to be in Yellowstone for 6 nights (Part of a western US trip). We are going to be on the road for 45 nights total.

We are hoping to make our reservations tomorrow evening, but we are not sure where to stay.

We are looking at either Lazy G or Moose Creek. Is one better than the other? Or are they both about the same?

Any help would be appreciated.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days should we allow?

Hi

I would follow AKJ's suggestion and stay at more than one place.

We've been to Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP 3 times and stayed 3 days in YNP and 1 day GTNP each time. Of course you can stay much longer. Friends of mine went hiking in this area for three weeks. 6 Nights is long enough to get a good impression and don't forget Grand Teton NP.

Tet{:o)-

Mentioned in this post
Maryland
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days should we allow?

We are going to Yellowstone in June. Already made reservations for Lake Yellowstone Hotel for 4 nights. We want to stay at a ranch close to Teton for 4 nights. We are taking our 7 yrs old that loves to horse back ride. I have checked out many of the ranches but so much money. I loved Lone Mountain Ranch until I saw the prices. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days should we allow?

Hi MLB, welcome to the forum

This is an old thread and will give few response I'm afraid. Maybe put a new topic on the Wyoming Forum.

I can give you a hint though. Maybe try Dubois along us26. It's almost 50 miles from the east entrance of GTNP but it's in a wonderful area and rates are much lower. Just google: Mountain Lodges Dubois Wyoming. Also for horseback riding. We loved this area.

Tet{:o)-

Mentioned in this post
Wyoming
Wyoming
United States
Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
6,119 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days should we allow?

Hello,

I see your post was a while ago, but I noticed you asked about the Lazy G. My husband and I stayed here in 1997 for several nights. It is VERY reasonably priced and the owners are very friendly. I remember it being very clean, but it was very dated. However, you spend so much time in the park that by the time you return, you just want a clean, comfortable place, and the Lazy G will fit the bill.

It may have been renovated by now; it has been several years. I'm sure you could find out if any updating has been done between now and then.

You will have a great time, and the time you have alloted is fine. If you have time, don't miss the Tetons!! You can see them very comfortably in 2-3 days. Be sure to see Hidden Falls if you go. There should be a boat running across Jenny Lake that will get you there pretty quickly.

Enjoy your trip.

8. Re: How many days should we allow?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 03:17