We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick Amtrak Trip to Whitefish

Which Whitefish hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Quick Amtrak Trip to Whitefish

I will be taking the Amtrak to/from Whitefish, MT next week. I'm not a skier but am looking forward to seeing this area in the wintertime.

I only plan on being in town for a couple of days and will have a rental car. I plan on driving over to Glacier Nat'l Park's west entrance and doing some sightseeing around Whitefish.

Any suggestions on a possible day trip (with the drive to Glacier NP) and dining recommendations?

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick Amtrak Trip to Whitefish

Take a drive down highway 2 to Essex and have a bite to eat at the Issac Walton Inn. rent xc skis there and enjoy some of their groomed trails. take a drive to Big Fork and Flathead Lake. Eat at Mambo Italiano, Wasabi Sushi, The Whitefish Lake Golf Course and the Hellroaring Saloon up at the ski area.

MaineUSA
Level Contributor
829 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick Amtrak Trip to Whitefish

We also did a two day Amtrak stop last May and rented a car. The car was waiting for us right at the station. I would defer to the above poster and the destination experts as to what to do given the fact that a March visit finds different things open. We had a nice meal at the Tupelo Grill right in downtown Whitefish. We really liked the Whitefish - Glacier area. We stayed at the Lodge at Whitefish Lake which was great.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick Amtrak Trip to Whitefish

Thanks for the feedback. The Isaak Walton Inn is on my radar if only to visit and see the caboose lodging. A meal there would probably add to my experience there.

BluePhantom . . . thanks for your input too. I've decided to rent a car out at the airport picking it up the next morning and keeping it until the following evening. The cars in Whitefish are much more expensive + limited mileage. Plus if I pick it up upon arrival Tuesday night (9p) and return it upon departure on Friday morning(7:30a) I'd be charged for 3 days essentially for letting it sit around unused for two nights (Tuesday and Thursday). I think it worked out to around $180 for the 3 days, with 450 miles free. My airport rental is $66 for two days with unlimited mileage.

While I like the convenience of pick-up/drop-off at the Whitefish depot, the added $120 is not worth it . . . especially since my lodge has free shuttle service to the Amtrak Depot and the Kalispell Airport.

Edited: 07 March 2012, 17:29
MaineUSA
Level Contributor
829 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick Amtrak Trip to Whitefish

Von:

First, if you haven't done it before - you'll like the Empire Builder. It was part of our Boston, Chicago, Seattle, LA, Flagataff, Chicago , Boston 17 day trip last May. We found the food much better than our expectations. Hopefully you have a roomette.

You are correct about your less expensive car rental rate. We had Dollar Rental. We picked up on a Friday night and dropped at the station Sunday night. Our rate was $113 with unlimited milage. We went for the convience and it worked out for us.

We did drive up to the ski area to take a look around. Again, you'll love the Whitefish area.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick Amtrak Trip to Whitefish

This will be my first time, so I am really looking forward to it. Yes I have a roomette for both trips (roundtrip). Nice that you got unlimited mileage with your Dollar rental. That is who I had originally booked with until I found a better deal with Hotwire.com that also included the unlimited mileage.

I will also take a trip up to the ski area to take a look around. I don't ski (bad old lady knees) but I am interested in seeing as much as I can. I've also been told that if the skies are clear, that may be a good place to get a nice sunrise (or sunset?) photo.

My sister and her son are doing a full 8 day rail holiday with Amtrak from NoVA to California, then up to Portland and across on the Empire Builder where I'll hook up with them at Whitefish for the ride east (home to Milwaukee). They have a bedroom sleeper for the EB segment, so we should all be comfy.

As a timeshare owner, I would really like to Glacier NP in the summer too . . . maybe in 2013 . . . for a full week.

Boston...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick Amtrak Trip to Whitefish

Hello, I also am planning a train trip to Whitefish. Can you tell me the lodge that has shuttle service to the AMTRAK station? Thanks

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quick Amtrak Trip to Whitefish

Grouse Mountain Lodge and The Lodge on Whitefish Lake both have shuttles to and from the depot.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quick Amtrak Trip to Whitefish

Hi Bob. I'm staying at the Best Western Rocky Mountain, which has been outstanding in assisting me with my shuttle needs. They were there to pick me up when the train arrived (an hour late I might add) . . . and then took me to the airport in Kalispell to pick up a rental car yesterday morning.

They were also willing to pick me up tonight when I was originally planning to drop off the car, plus take me to the Amtrak for my departure on Friday . . . but I was able to work something else out for the car drop off saving us both of the added legwork by shuttle.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my stay here so far. They had great rates on the BestWestern.com website including 2 and 3 night stay promos. I'm paying $73/night for my 3 nights here.

Hope this helps!

Boston...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Quick Amtrak Trip to Whitefish

Thank you for the replies . Thay were helpful

10. Re: Quick Amtrak Trip to Whitefish

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 March 2012, 15:08