We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitefish Montana

Boston Ma
Level Contributor
8 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Whitefish Montana

My husband and 2 children age 10 and 13 will be traveling from the Boston area to Whitefish Montana in August of 2013. What is the best airline and airport to take . What will the weather be like. We are staying at timeshare Crestwood and woukd like to go to Glacier National Park and horseback riding. Any other suggestons. We may fly to Salt Lake City and ent a van and see some other parks. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whitefish Montana

The closest airport to Whitefish is Glacier Park International, or FCA. Delta, Alaska, Allegiant and United fly there. FCA is only about 20 minutes from downtown Whitefish. Airfare is not cheap -- so be prepared for sticker-shock. You are likely to find the best prices about 4 months prior to your trip. Alternatively, check Missoula (2 1/2 hrs. drive south of Whitefish) or even Spokane, WA (GEG) which is a 4 1/2 hour drive but is serviced by Southwest, so sometimes for a group of 4 the savings makes the extra drive worthwhile.

August is usually gorgeous weather -- warm enough for swimming, most days in the 70's to 90's, with evenings cooling down nicely. Only drawback to August weather is that it's also fire season. Weather and fires is always the luck of the draw.

The drive time from SLC to Whitefish is approx. 11-12 hours without sightseeing, or 2 days driving each direction with stops (a lot of car time).

Browse this forum and you'll get loads of ideas about acitivites, then ask questions from there.

Have fun planning!

Mentioned in this post
Whitefish
Whitefish
Montana
Missoula
Missoula
Montana
Spokane
Spokane
Washington
Whitefish, Montana
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whitefish Montana

Fly Delta. Alaska Airlines has crazy layovers. United has the worst service. Book early. The rates never go down. I'd fly into Kalispell or Missoula. The drive from Missoula is beautiful if it will work with your schedule.

Mentioned in this post
Kalispell
Kalispell
Montana
Missoula
Missoula
Montana
Thornton, New...
Level Contributor
982 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whitefish Montana

This will be our second winter trip to Whitefish from Boston (stayed at Crestwood last trip). I agree with the previous poster - stay away from United. We had a great flight booked. Within days of booking, they switched it out to one with an 8 hour layover!! They had no alternate flights and the tickets were nonrefundable but we stopped payment through our credit card company and won. We booked Delta very early and the prices have never dropped. The Kalispell airport is very convenient.

Our neighbors work at GNP every summer and we look forward to visiting the park during warm weather some day. Of all the areas we've skied, Montana is by far the most beautiful.

Edited: 28 November 2012, 13:55
Mentioned in this post
Whitefish
Whitefish
Montana
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Kalispell
Kalispell
Montana
Montana
Montana
United States
Cedarville, Ohio
Level Contributor
588 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whitefish Montana

Agree about United. Starting two years ago EVERY single flight has been changed two to three times with each being more inconvenient than the last. If I have to book United now I go on the premise that I will most likely be departing and arriving on the given dates but everything else is a total toss of the dice.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,348 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whitefish Montana

August is crazy in Glacier but if accomodations taken care of that helps. Horseback options include lake McDonald lodge and many glacier lodge. GTTS road will be very busy and logan pass packed by 9:30 am so plan accordingly (glacier folks are late to hit the road so if you can get going in the park by 8-8:30 am that helps)

Too many hiking options to list. What is it you really want to see???

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
19 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whitefish Montana

Side suggestion as everyone has covered the options, which is really Fly Delta into Glacier park(FCA) (try to connect through Minneapolis st. Paul (MSP) as that airport is gorgeous). One option I looked at, but have not done, is to fly into Spokane and take the train to whitefish. Its fairly cheap and the train station is in downtown whitefish and is also very nice.

Mentioned in this post
Minneapolis
Minneapolis
Minnesota
Spokane
Spokane
Washington
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
619 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whitefish Montana

Lots of hiking options in Glacier, but the best hiking is in the Many Glacier area on the east side of the park. A lot of people like the ranger led hikes because of the bears in the park. The 2013 schedule has not been published yet, but last year's will give you some ideas of the hikes:

…nps.gov/glac/…ranger-led-activities.htm

The drive across the Going to the Sun Road is usually an all-day event, especially when you stop for short hikes, picture taking, etc. Stop at Logan Pass Visitor's Center and take the short hike up to HIdden Lake Overlook where we've always seen mountain goats:

hikinginglacier.com/hidden-lake-overlook.htm

In addition to hiking and horsebackriding, you may want to consider whitewater rafting since traveling with kids. There are several outlets on the west side, Glacier Park Raft Co., Glacier Outdoor Center and Glacier Guides and Montana Raft Co. There's also a zipline in Whitefish.

Mentioned in this post
Logan Pass
Logan Pass
1,013 Reviews
Glacier National Park, MT
Hidden Lake
Hidden Lake
554 Reviews
West Glacier, MT
Glacier Outdoor Center
Glacier Outdoor Center
215 Reviews
West Glacier, MT
Glacier Guides and Montana Raft
Glacier Guides and...
832 Reviews
West Glacier, MT
Whitefish
Whitefish
Montana
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
324 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whitefish Montana

I've been tracking flight prices & options because we will be making our trip next summer (in Bozeman & out Kalispell) I wish that we could book with Delta because United cancelled our flight 3 hours before departure last summer. We ended up like "sippican" and had a 7 hour layover in Newark. It made for a real headache!

However, all of the Delta flights that I've seen have a 36 minute layover in Atlanta and that's just cutting it too close to make the next leg for me. Also, they only had a few flights departing FCA and they were at the crack of dawn. We were hoping to leave closer to mid-day or later.

solascmark...I think we're gonna have to just toss the dice and go with United again. I'll just make sure that there are several other flights offered that same day in case we get shut out again.

Mentioned in this post
Bozeman
Bozeman
Montana
Kalispell
Kalispell
Montana
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Spokane, Washington
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Whitefish Montana

Another suggestion would be to fly into Great Falls, Montana. Flights will be cheaper. You can drive on the south side of the Park or on the Going-to-the-Sun Road to get to Whitefish

Mentioned in this post
10. Re: Whitefish Montana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2014, 05:15