We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative ski vacation like Big Mountain

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Alternative ski vacation like Big Mountain

First off I love Whitefish, MT and Big Mtn...but, I'd like to experience some new slopes. I'm in KY (fly out of Cincinnati) and I'd like to try a new place for skiing for say a 4 or 5 day trip in Feb. I've skiied in Eastern places but they don't compare to the west from what I've seen. I've only skiied at Big Mountain and Crystal in Washington. I really like the feel and style of Big Mtn. I'm not into high end ski area's like Vail (been there in the summer for a day). I'd rather hang out with ski bums living out of a winnibego than talking to a couple bankers over their 30 year old scotch. A normal pub or sports bar perhaps in the town and lots of good terrain. Been to Big Mtn for the last 5 years and I'm ready to try something different. We're a group of 5 guys in their 30s. We like skiing till are legs are shot and drinking microbrew in a local bar with a band or a football game in the background. That's not too much to ask right? Right now we're leaning toward Steamboat Springs cause I saw a pretty good deal, but I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks!

Kimberley, Canada
Level Contributor
290 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Alternative ski vacation like Big Mountain

Never too late to consider -Canadian Rockies - they will not disappoint + if you have never sipped, why not, now;

Fernie or Kimberley 2.5 hours drive north of Glacier Int'l Airport.

Please visit these websites for 'big picture"

www.kootenayrockies.com - complete with maps etc etc - very "pretty website" with loads of photos - have a looky?

www.skircr.com - with links to; wwwskifernie.com www.skikimberley.com www.skifernie.com www.skilouise.com

If you want "Legendary Powder" on a brand new/redeveloped MOUNTAIN goto www.discoverrevelstoke.com + one hour away = www.kickinghorseresort.com

www.panorama.com - Intrawest Development (same owner's as Whistler Blackcomb - the #1 Ski Resort in the Wrold most years = www.whistlerblackcomb.com )

You can fly into Canadian Rockies International Airport in Cranbrook/Kimberley and be at Kimberley in 15 minutes (smaller family hill) or Fernie (World Class skiing) in 70 minutes. Check RCR website or email Guest Services for shuttle inof.

12. Re: Alternative ski vacation like Big Mountain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 01:19
Get answers to your questions about Whitefish