We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of speed traps!

Which Beatty hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nome, Alaska
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of speed traps!

I've heard of Beatty before, so I stuck to the 25 mph speed limit, thankfully. A big storm kept me in Beatty for a day and night, and I was amused by watching the deputy incessantly prowl and hide, with frequent pull overs. Local bar folk told me that's how the local economy is supported. One chap got a ticket for running a stop sign, where he apparently went TWO mph through without a full stop.

SO, obey the law!

4 replies to this topic
Camp Sherman, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of speed traps!

Interesting…my son was doing a quick trip during the holidays to Vegas (via Reno and Death Valley) and driving through the town just before, Goldfield, and got a warning for tail light even though going really slow. Two springs ago we witnessed what I might call racial profiling/harrasment where it looked like the county sherriff(s) was a bit excessive in a traffic stop/arrest but I don't know the story. Different county but perhaps same situations. Lot's of people from the NW drive that route during xmas and spring breaks to escape the rain and cold up here. Last March sister got speeding ticket outside Susanville, so yes, watch out!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,233 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of speed traps!

You definitely have to watch your speed in Beatty.

Go Slow!

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of speed traps!

Dex hit it on the head: You have to watch your speed. This is the "trick". Always watch your speed, especially when approaching a town. Even if you fail to see a sign that says "Speed Zone Ahead" or an actual lower speed sign, you ,just just realize that speed is always reduced in a town. The speed foes from 55-65 down to 45 to 35 down to 25. If you just do that, even if you don't see the sign, you'll reduce your chances of getting a ticket.

We have been taking "road trips" covering all the Western South and South Eastern U.S. since 1969, and NEVER received any kind of a traffic ticket. And that includes some very sketchy villages in the American South. Chuck.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,245 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of speed traps!

The only speeding ticket I've ever had in my life was in Beatty, years ago. I had just entered the town limits and, like so many people, apparently hadn't slowed down adequately from highway speed. It was near the old Burro inn, now the Death Valley Inn on Hwy 95.

As for racial profiling, I have never personally experienced it in 30 years of being in Beatty off and on. I am not Caucasian, and I have California license plate. But I can't say either has caused me any trouble.

Reply to: Beware of speed traps!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted