We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I-80 exit 303 fuel prices

Boise, Idaho, U.S.A.
Level Contributor
272 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
I-80 exit 303 fuel prices

Today (8/29/07) I got off I-80 at exit 303 to refuel. (Also to turn around, because I should have taken exit 301 to get to Nevada Hwy 225.)

There are two Cheron stations near this exit--one to the north and one to the south. I went south to the Chevron station at East Jennings Way and Idaho Street. Regular was $3.39 9/10. I thought that was high, but I foolishly assumed that's how it is in Elko. I might have left Elko believing that, but traffic congestion made a left turn from the Chevron Station difficult, so I turned right onto Idaho Street (westbound) so I could look for an opportunity to turn around. I saw a Tesoro station that was less than the Chevron, and beyond that I saw a Sinclair station and a Conoco station that were even less. These are across the street from the Main City Park by College Avenue and East Idaho Street. Regular at both the Sinclair and Conoco were $2.82 9/10. Are these obsolete signs? No, I stopped at the Sinclair's convenience store and had an ice cream. I told the lady at the store that unfortunately it was too late for me to buy gas there, because I got suckered into thinking the Chevron station by the exit was normal price for Elko and filled my tank. She said that several by the exits were like that.

Before getting onto I-80 West at exit 303 I looked at the north Chevron station at Alta Vista Dr and East Jennings Way. That was $3.19 9/10. That's less bad that the south one, but still overpriced. The moral of the story is that it's possible to pay reasonable price at exit 303 by turning south and then east onto Idaho street for a few blocks to pay what Elko residents pay. The Chevron station at Idaho Street and East Jennings Way is useful as a good example of what not to pay, and also as a marker of where to turn right.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
178 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I-80 exit 303 fuel prices

Do you have AAA? The website has a fuel price finder (which, actually, I don't think requires membership), though they've hidden it somewhat lately. From the "main" site (the site actually slots you in your region, theoretically), you have to click on "News & Safety" in the upper region of the page, then on the next page locate "Fuel Price Finder." It's rearranged how I buy gas on road trips, plus it helps when gas prices are turned on their head in Boise.

For Idaho and Oregon, it's www.aaaorid.com. Sadly, I can't link directly to the Fuel Price Finder.

Boise, Idaho, U.S.A.
Level Contributor
272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I-80 exit 303 fuel prices

Thanks for the advice on the AAA site, Pounder. The fuel price finder seems to be buried, and the URL is quite long. A search of the site brought it up.

The spread of fuel prices is mostly not very big, but there are exceptions, and I seem to have found the three biggest exceptions in Elko (and bought from the absolute worst).

On 9/11/07 the AAA site shows the three most expensive stations in Elko:

Chevron 2175 Idaho St. $3.399

Chevron 2500 Alta Vista $3.199

Tesoro 1950 Idaho St. $3.189

The Sinclair station (Jackson Food Stores) at 1790 Idaho St. (where I bought an ice cream two weeks ago) is now $2.799.

3. Re: I-80 exit 303 fuel prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 20:16
Get answers to your questions about Elko