We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air filled with smoke? Not a good idea to travel to Tahoe?

Atlanta, GA
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Air filled with smoke? Not a good idea to travel to Tahoe?

Need quick advise, please! Is it safe/advisable to travel to Lake Tahoe right now? My boyfriend and I have a vacation booked for South Lake Tahoe for one week starting on Wednesday, Aug. 28th, and this would be the first time for both of us at Tahoe. We are hoping to see beautiful sights and hike, but I have read news articles this weekend that are saying that Lake Tahoe air is "thick with smoke." We don't want to be breathing in smoke/polluted air. Please advise! We will need to book for a later day or change travel destinations tomorrow if it’s not a good idea to come to Tahoe at this time. Thank you for any help!

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air filled with smoke? Not a good idea to travel to Tahoe?

I plan a trip to Lake Tahoe on Tuesday and I am not worried about the smoke. The wind can all change quickly and it does not look that bad today. Of course the choice is yours. Check out the Lake Tahoe webcameras: http://rntl.net/tahoecam.htm

Atlanta, GA
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Air filled with smoke? Not a good idea to travel to Tahoe?

Thank you for the response. This gave me hope!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,661 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air filled with smoke? Not a good idea to travel to Tahoe?

Agreeing. It's all about the wind. We were traveling in the region 3 weeks ago. As we approached Ashland OR there were 5 different fires within a 50 mile radius and heavy smoke in the whole region. The next morning we woke up to clear skies and relatively smoke free air. The fires were still active but the wind had shifted.

4. Re: Air filled with smoke? Not a good idea to travel to Tahoe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2014, 05:18