We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to Ski, January or February?

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
39 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to Ski, January or February?

We are planning a trip in 2007, what month do you think has the best snow, Jan., Feb. or March?

Upstate S.C.
Level Contributor
343 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to Ski, January or February?

It depends upon nature. But if one wishes to put the odds in their favor, go for February.

I have been in January and March. Lots of snow both months. This year I have planned for a late February trip.

But again, it depends on what's happening this season - not last year.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
39 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to Ski, January or February?

I'm considering going early Feb., or end of Feb., early March. Will there be good skiing first week of March? I know that every season is different. We were there last xmas and it rained and there was slick ice to ski on.

Upstate S.C.
Level Contributor
343 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to Ski, January or February?

Weather is fickle. There is no assurance that what happened the last ten years will happen again the next.

That being said, I skied at Heavenly and Mount Rose in powder the third week in March, 2006. Previous years, it was packed powder in late March.

In 2007, I will be skiing there the middle of February.

It is your choice - February or March. Just make sure you rent a 4wd vehicle.

Lake Tahoe
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to Ski, January or February?

My experience in tahoe is March is the best month. Usually there is plenty of snow and the weather is either spring like which is great or you can have mid winter conditions either way usually lots of snow. crowds are less as well.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to Ski, January or February?

All three are good for snow conditions. As far as crowds go there is the MLK holiday in mid Jan. Two 3 day weekends in Feb and then at the end of March this year is the beginning of spring break. So if you want to avoid the big crowds choose the end of Feb or early March. March has a history of being a pretty windy month in northern CA.

nc
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to Ski, January or February?

what about December? any good?

South Carolina
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to Ski, January or February?

Skiing in December: not yet! Heavenly was 10% open yesterday!

Where is the big snow?

WV
Level Contributor
447 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to Ski, January or February?

I have been going to Lake Tahoe every year for the past 12 years. We used to go in January but the weather was terrible! Always ran into a major snowstorm. In March the snow is like cement. For the past few years we have been going in early February. We have been lucky in that the snow has been plentiful and the weather has been clear. It is cold enough so that the snow does not turn to cement. I highly recommend February for Lake Tahoe but don't tell too many people!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
9. Re: Best time to Ski, January or February?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 07:17