We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shadow Creek Golf Course all booked up!!!

United States
Level Contributor
505 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Shadow Creek Golf Course all booked up!!!

Heading to Vegas in about 9 days. Posted earlier asking about recommended golf courses in the area and got good responses. We called Shadow Creek today and they said there is no "program" for the time we're going. Whatever that means...guess it means there booked. My husband is a PGA member and were staying at an MGM property and that still didn't matter. So I would like to know of any suggestions on where else would be a good place to play. Some people suggested getting a car and driving to Mesquite, but were not really interested in doing that at this point. So can anyone help me out?? Thanks !!

Ohio
Level Contributor
553 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shadow Creek Golf Course all booked up!!!

That certainly is odd. Pehaps they have the course reserved for a high-rollers tournament or maybe just some maintenance. May be worth calling again and asking specifically what is going on.

Best choices if you are not willing to go to Mesquite:

1. Reflection Bay at Lake Las Vegas (Nicklaus Signature course)

2. Cascata (a $500/round course, like Shadow Creek, that was blasted out the rock, like Wolf Creek)

3. Wolf Course at Las Vegas Paiute Resort - a very tough Pete Dye layout

4. Rio Secco, some very stunning holes

5. The Falls at Lake Las Vegas, a Tom Weiskopf course

6. TPC at Summerlin or TPC at the Canyons

Las Vegas Nevada
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Shadow Creek Golf Course all booked up!!!

I live on Rio Secco, and golf there often. It is a very nice course. Very good service. The restaurant Janellas is very good. Not many people go in the morning so its almost like its private.

Home of the Butch Harmon School of golf.

Rough is Bermuda, so its dormant. Greens can go anywhere from 10-12 on the stint. Most puts break toward the Stratosphere (tall skinny building on the strip). Average size greens. Green on number 12 (par 3) is almost impossible to stop the ball if putting from above the hole. Fairways on the smaller side. 7332 yrds frm the tips. 75.7 rating 142 slope par 72. Tiger Woods course record of 64. Great views of the strip on 1-3, 10&18. Wind more of a factor front nine than back.

Played the Falls once in bad weather, don't remeber it too well. nice course. I personally like Reflection Bay better. Tight lies from the fairways uneven lies. Wind very effective out there. Slower greens than Rio. Also flatter than they seem.

Don't suggest Bali Hai. Air port right next to it. Air planes overhead all day.

Bear's Best is nice. Jack's best designed holes. Some from Montana that have black sand bunkers. Club house isn't that great. Nice driving range. Never played up at TPC, either of them.

Have Fun

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shadow Creek Golf Course all booked up!!!

Just played Paiute with my foursome on Monday. All 3 courses are great and the clubhouse/pro shop is lovely. We started with breakfast before our tee time and the food was excellent and not overpriced (large breakfast burrito and potatoes for $9).

Hated Las Vegas National. Total hackers course.

Gilroy, California
Level Contributor
112 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shadow Creek Golf Course all booked up!!!

check out golfnow.com, got our foursome onto Silverstone at very reasonable $, couldn`t find a better price onlilne - some of these courses sell off a few tee times to these services and let them sell `em at a discount. good luck.

Ohio
Level Contributor
553 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shadow Creek Golf Course all booked up!!!

Siiygirl:

Not sure the other posters know your husband is PGA member.

Aside from the courses I suggested, you (or he) can look at the course reviews at Las Vegas Golf (http://www.lasvegasgolf.com). They are very detailed. Nonetheless, i thnk I listed the top-notch courses. I would think most would extend some degree of professional courtesy. Of course, there are plenty of other courses to choose from.

NH
Level Contributor
348 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Shadow Creek Golf Course all booked up!!!

I know you're not interested in driving to Mesquite and playing Wolf Creek, but you really, really should.

You will not be sorry. It is a fun, challenging, and most importantly, a breathtaking course.

Ohio
Level Contributor
553 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shadow Creek Golf Course all booked up!!!

If your husband needs any more encouragement to go to Wolf Creek, tell him to check out the new (March) issue of Golf Digest, page 106. The 50 Toughest Courses in the U.S. (Wolf Creek is No. 31).

As awesome as the picture is, the experience is even better.

Level Contributor
8,463 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Shadow Creek Golf Course all booked up!!!

Can't help notice your location. How about something you cannot play in your area like a Desert Target Course? Don't see many of those in RI do you?

Badlands!

United States
Level Contributor
505 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shadow Creek Golf Course all booked up!!!

Your right Vegashomeboy there aren't many desert course here in the ocean state.

United States
Level Contributor
505 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shadow Creek Golf Course all booked up!!!

My husband finally got in touch with the head pro at Shadow Creek and apparantely they are all booked up because of Chinese New Year. Guess there expecting quite a crowd and he said the only way to get on to play is through a hotel comp. Hope I don't run into this problem at the other courses. Were going to try Reflection Bay and a few others. If that doesnt work i'll have to hit it big at MGM and get comped at Shadow Creek...LOL Thanks for all the feedback