We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in Nevada Itinerary suggestions? thanks!!

sydney australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
5 days in Nevada Itinerary suggestions? thanks!!

WE are Aussies and new to your wonderful country ..We check out of Treasure Island in as Vegas on 29th April and have 5 days of touring with car, before flying out of Vegas on the 4th May.

We hear about Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, the Lake etc etc its so overwhelming...which is best for a great driving trip? and another thing..over here we can just drive off and often just pop in and book into hotels.... but do you have holidays then? do we need to book anything? thanks all for you invaluable help (gosh this a fantasic site!!) any queries about Australia; feel free!

tash

Grand Adventures Tours
Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Photography Tours, Bus Tours
Maverick Helicopters
Helicopter Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Air Tours
Las Vegas Walking Tours
City Tours, Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Virginia
Level Contributor
106 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days in Nevada Itinerary suggestions? thanks!!

tash,

If you've never been to the USA before, I would definately recommend the Grand Canyon. Like nothing you've seen before! However, if you go - you'll want to go to what they call the South Rim where the hotels, etc. are. The western edge that some of the tours take you too is awesome too but nowhere near as large. I understand that it is a good 5 hr or so drive to there from Vegas though - I haven't driven it myself so I'm not sure. So, you may need to make it an overnight trip. No holidays during your time frame, but if you plan on staying at one of the hotels at the Canyon you may need to book ahead. For shorter trips, I would say Valley of Fire - we're headed there in a couple weeks. It's about an hour drive from what I understand and Hoover Dam is about 1/2 hr I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on these drive times. Enjoy!

Colchester UK
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days in Nevada Itinerary suggestions? thanks!!

Hi

A couple of options for you. Take US93, cross the Hoover Dam, to Kingman, then take I-40 to Williams and AZ64 to the Grand Canyon. About five hours drive time, roughly 280 miles. Lodgings in the park are very popular and a bit pricey so you may need to book ahead. Alternatively there are plenty of lodgings in Williams. Whilst in the area you may have the chance to visit Wupatki, Sunset Crater Volcano and Walnut Canyon NM's and the beautiful Oak Creek Canyon and Sedona. Or you could take I-15, northbound, and visit the Valley of Fire SP and return via the road that runs alongside Lake Mead and overnight in Boulder City. From there take US95, northbound to Beatty with perhaps a side trip to Mount Charleston. Spend a couple of nights in Beatty, visit Rhyolite ghost town, Scotty's Castle and of course the insanely hot Death Valley NP. From Beatty drive through Death Valley on NV374, CA190, then pick up CA127 to Baker, take a look at the Worlds biggest thermometer and overnight here. From there take I-15, northbound back to Las Vegas, with a chance to get rid of those last few dollars at the retail outlet at Primm.

With the exception of lodgings at the Grand Canyon you shouldn't have any problems finding accommodation. Baker is a one horse town with only three motels but you should still be able to find a room.

Hope this helps, have a great trip.

Tony

OCNY
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days in Nevada Itinerary suggestions? thanks!!

A five-day itinerary starting and ending in Vegas? That's a tall order!

I would suggest Night 1 in Grand Canyon Village which is right at the rim of GC (definitely reserve a hotel ahead of time at grandcanyonlodges.com).

From there, you should visit Monument Valley (on the Arizona/Utah border--a must-see IMO). From there, you can either loop southward through Arizona or loop northward into the southern part of Utah.

Personally, I'd drive into southern Utah which is rich with beautiful parks like Bryce and Zion, and spend your final night in St. George, Utah (lots and lots of motels/hotels on their main avenue), which is about a 3 to 3-1/2 hour drive from Las Vegas.

Have fun!

OCNY
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days in Nevada Itinerary suggestions? thanks!!

... I forgot to mention, I "steered" you to Arizona and Utah rather than Nevada deliberately because there is more to see for your five-day trip.

Nevada is beautiful but it is much more barren a place (generally speaking) with long drives from sight to sight. And if you're driving to Grand Canyon to start your tour, it makes sense to stay in that region.

US
Level Contributor
194 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days in Nevada Itinerary suggestions? thanks!!

(1).Grand Canyon--book your hotel ASAP if you want to stay in the park. Here is the government website for the GC--it has a link to lodging to make your resv for in-park lodging. All resv are booked thru one company Xanterra. It also has info on hikes, temperatures, sunrise/sunset, maps, etc. http://www.nps.gov/grca/

If you cannot get lodging in the park there is a town about 7 miles outside park--Tunsylan (not real sure if that is spelled right.) they have chain hotels there. I think the GC website has some info on it.

Also, there is a forum here on trip advisor that you can look at for the GC and post questions, etc. Its not nearly as busy but gives alot of info on hotels, etc.

(2) National Park Pass

Because it sounds like you are going to be going to more than one national park (Zion in Utah is also one, as is some others) you might want to consider this pass which allows entrance to all national parks that charge an entrance fee for $50. (works for everyone in the car.) Whether this makes sense for you will depend on the entrance fees to the parks you plan on going to. I think GC entrance fee is $20 and good for 7 days--but you need to check that on the government website.

(3) Zion National Park.

Again, do a search for it and go to the National park service/government's website. Great info on hikes, things to see, lodging, etc. If you want to stay in park--again need to make those reservations ASAP. If willing to stay outside of park...look at Springdale UT. There is alot of lodging there. Again, is forum for Springdale on trip advisor you can look at. I'd recommend Majestic View Lodge--its listed under "other lodging" when you pull up the various lodging options for Springdale. Reviews have been wonderful, the staff was VERY helpful when i called to make reservations. Pictures on website look great. Check them out.

Have a wonderful time!

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 days in Nevada Itinerary suggestions? thanks!!

Tash,

Zion is a must see. It always amazes me that it doesn't get more credit. Everybody I've taken to Zion and Grand Canyon always rants more about Zion afterwards. The exceptions being those who rafted the canyon. The Canyon and then into Utah is my recomendation too. But I'd stay the night in Williams and ride the old narrow-guage train to the Canyon. A real part of history.

If you go to Death Valley and Baker, instead of returning on I-15, I'd return through Kelso & Cima.

You've picked a great time of year to travel, enjoy.

Morristown, NJ
Level Contributor
280 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 days in Nevada Itinerary suggestions? thanks!!

Hi there!

I second Zion NP as an awesome trip. If you like hiking, there are some FANTASTIC hikes in the park. ("Angel's Landing" is one; "The Narrows" (hiking IN a river through a narrow canyon) is another.) We stayed at Fitzpatrick's Inn (?) and it was right at the entrance to the park, very clean and nice.

The South Rim of the Grand Canyon takes about 5 hours by car. Along the way you can stop at the Hoover Dam which is about 30-40 minutes south of Las Vegas.

You will have a GREAT time!!! :)

S1

seawa
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 days in Nevada Itinerary suggestions? thanks!!

I am an old Arizona boy went on a mule trip down the Canyon in 1970.My wife and I went to the Canyon late September 2004,we booked a tour with Marvelous Marv on web he and his partner operate 2 vans you get special attention he takes you "off the path"and knows the shortcuts.

United States
Level Contributor
88 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 days in Nevada Itinerary suggestions? thanks!!

I agree with Drakes responses. We had seven days and our itinerary was as follows:

Flew in Vegas, drove to Laughlin via the Hoover Dam and stayed in Laughlin the first night(rooms $30.00 a night).

Then we drove to the Grand Canyon and stayed at one of the hotels at the south rim. We sure and get reservations if you are planning on do this.

Then we drove to Monument Valley and took the guided tour. It was a little pricey but well worth the money.

Then we hit Zion and Bryce Canyons on the way back. Both are a must see if you have the time.

You need at least two days in Vegas and that is cutting it short.

Now that I think of it, maybe hit the Grand Canyon and spend the rest of you time in Vegas.

Have fun!

sydney australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 days in Nevada Itinerary suggestions? thanks!!

you have ALL been wonderful..thank you very much!!! xx