We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Departure time for Helicopter tour to Grand Canyon

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Best Departure time for Helicopter tour to Grand Canyon

Hi guys,

When do you think is the best time to start a helicopter tour to Grand Canyon? We'll be there next week.

Here are the choices, the tour is about 3 hours.

7:00am, 9:00am, 11;00am, 1:00pm, and 4:00pm.

I remember someone said the view was beautiful before sunset? Does that mean the 4:00pm tour will have the best view?

Appreciate your opinions and suggestions!

Thanks!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Departure time for Helicopter tour to Grand Canyon

Anyone can help? Thanks! It will be my parent's anniversary next week....I really hope they will enjoy this gift...

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,092 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Departure time for Helicopter tour to Grand Canyon

bump

( i can't help you...but we'll keep this on the first page...)

Michigan
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Departure time for Helicopter tour to Grand Canyon

We have a trip booked also and I was also unsure of times. The rep I spoke with said either early mornig our late afternoon are the best times for travel to enjoy the colors of the canyon

She said the vibrant colors on the canyon walls are beautiful during these times. She said that midday everything is just kind of brown.

We have our trip booked at 8:00 am, hope the weather is agreeable.

Hope your parents have a wonderful anniversary

Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Departure time for Helicopter tour to Grand Canyon

We did the helicopter tour last month. We loved it!!!! Our helicopter landed in the canyon just above the river where we had a light snack etc. On the way back the sun was starting to set and it would have been beautiful except it was cloudy and you couldn't see much. I would go the late one coz then if you do happen to have a clear day you will see the sunset. Have fun!!! We did!

ENGLAND
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Departure time for Helicopter tour to Grand Canyon

Hi.

I have been on this trip 3 different times,and Yes the Sunset time gave the best views.

I did this trip just a few weeks ago in January,and it was wonderful.

If you go to the link below you can read about it and see a few pictures,which might help you make up your mind.

Scroll down to DAY 5,the day of the trip.

John.

http://1as-vegas.com/TR/JAN2007pt2.html

Dalton, Georgia
Level Contributor
112 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Departure time for Helicopter tour to Grand Canyon

We just took a Helicopter Tour to GC with Papillon this past Sunday. We had a 2:30 pickup with a 3:30 departure from airport. With that, we were coming back during sunset. The whole trip was awesome! Snack and champagne at GC landing. Then we saw the lights of the strip before landing back at airport. Have fun!!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
246 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Departure time for Helicopter tour to Grand Canyon

we are considering to make the heli ride at 5.00 - 5.30 on 2nd April. Is that oging to be too late almost dark?

Stratford on Avon...
Level Contributor
94 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Departure time for Helicopter tour to Grand Canyon

Hi Happyamber

We did the canyon landing last friday and took the 11.00 am departure. It was a perfect time of day to do it as the sun was nice and warm, we managed to have a lie in and we were back in vegas with plenty of time to have aquick shower, and back out again, while it was still light. To be honest though, I dont think it matters what time you go - it will be fantastic. We did the first class tour with Papillon and got picked up from the hotel in a limo. Our helicopter pilot was absolutely brilliant, very informative and very calming as this was the first time my wife had ever been in a chopper and she was petrified to start with. I couldn't recommend them highly enough.

YORK
Level Contributor
203 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Departure time for Helicopter tour to Grand Canyon

We can only fly at 6pm would be worth going at that time?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Departure time for Helicopter tour to Grand Canyon

Big Thanks, guys!

Great pictures, John!

If it takes one hour to the airport, will the 4:00pm tour be too late for the sunset ?

I'll call Papllion to see which departure time is the best for the sunset view.