We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 hr flight..scared..american west...tv"s ??

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
almost orlando
Level Contributor
321 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
5 hr flight..scared..american west...tv"s ??

Hey...what to do to pass the time for nervous flier??? I know I can take sleeping pills but dont want the effect to linger once we land?? only my second time ever flying.....jittery......any las vegas reading reccommended to pass the time??Thanks

virginia
Level Contributor
4,282 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 hr flight..scared..american west...tv"s ??

1. Stay up the night before so you will be tired and sleep during the flight.

2. Bring laptop and watch a movie

3. Write a trip report

4. Bring an IPOD and listen to music

5. Read the Skymall and other free magazines

6. Have a drink to knock you out

7. Bring your favorite novel

and remember you are safer in an airplane than driving to the airport.

sorry, no vegas novels, maybe try amazon?

Level Contributor
562 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 hr flight..scared..american west...tv"s ??

Hi, We fly America West and are heading back to LV in May via America West. Take headphones with you and listen to some nice music or watch the Movie.

I take along crossword puzzels and a few magazines. It is a nice flight. Try to relax. Also took cards and played while flying.

You will be fine. Ask for a low dose valium and only take 1/2 for the flight in and out.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 hr flight..scared..american west...tv"s ??

Hi.

First off, know that you're not alone. Fear of flying is right up there on the phobia list. Right next to public speaking and having your mother-in-law move in. Just kidding. You have to ask yourself, what is it I'm afraid of? Is it dying or claustophobia or both? Once you identify the problem, you can search for a solution. Try doing a google search for "fear of flying" and you might find some good advice. In short, you have to trust the statistics. Think about how many flights, just in the US, that go up and come down successfully. It's mind-blowing really. There's going to be turbulence when you take off and climb to cruising altitude, and there's going to be some turbulence when you descend upon landing. And there's going to be turbulence on your flight path over the Colorado Rockies. Not a problem. Turbulence doesn't take planes down. It's akin to cruising along and hitting a pothole on the street. It's not a big deal.

As for in-flight activities? Bring a good book, your ipod, some gossip magazines, and a portable DVD player. Enjoy the flight.

almost orlando
Level Contributor
321 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 hr flight..scared..american west...tv"s ??

ok.....Thanks.....gulp.....I really cant wait to do this...This is our first GROWN UP trip..if you know what I mean....deep breath in......deep breath out.....I have 56 days left to go....Thanks for the advice....this is the best website....you guys are the greatest ....

us
Level Contributor
9,142 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 hr flight..scared..american west...tv"s ??

fear of flying is not uncoommon - yopu need expert advice on this subject and this forum is not the place for it. no one here knows WHY you are scared - or how to treat it.

each person needs an individual plan for handling this - no general advice. ask your doctor, read some good books on the subject and if you are in an area that has one, take a seminar if you need.

talk to your doctor first.

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 hr flight..scared..american west...tv"s ??

You will do fine. Think of things you use at home for entertainment and bring them along. For me- mp3 player, crossword puzzle book, some magazines and a light novel. I also bring some food to snack on. Print out some of the posts from this forum to read on the plane and plan out your trip- different areas of the strip, what attractions are found in that area, etc. A five hour trip is not a long trip at all. If you can doze off that would be great- you will arrive refreshed. Do you have some correspondence to catch up on- this would be a great time to do it. Bring your own headphones- the ones the airlines supply aren't great -and enjoy the movie and music. The time will go fast. Once you land you will probably think- this is what I was so worried about?

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 hr flight..scared..american west...tv"s ??

Xanax - not a sleeping pill, just will relax you. It will wear off by the time you get there.

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 hr flight..scared..american west...tv"s ??

If you are going to take any pill- I would suggest you try one before you take your trip. People react different ways to pills and you don't want any surprises on an airplane- or when you land.

almost orlando
Level Contributor
321 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 hr flight..scared..american west...tv"s ??

Thank you all....The only reason I did this was the destination. Talked with hubby about driving and he looked at me like I had 2 heads. I guess 35hrs would be along way to drive...so...fly it is..

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 hr flight..scared..american west...tv"s ??

How about getting yourself those little hand held electronic Blackjack, Poker and Slot games? You can buy them for around $10.00 each, and they should get you in the mood for Vegas gambling!

Dee