We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam Questions:

virginia
Level Contributor
4,282 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam Questions:

This is my 7th trip to Vegas and I am determined this time to visit the Grand Canyon or Hoover Dam.

To ensure I don’t change my mind, do you know if you can purchase tickets in advance of your trip to Vegas, maybe online?

Also, if you had to choose between the two, what trip would you choose?

I will not have a rental car, so I am looking to purchase a package deal.

Thanks your help

Suz

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,572 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,043 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
571 reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
388 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
texas
Level Contributor
514 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam Questions:

Hoover Dam.

Grand Canyon is a destination trip 2-3 days in the area.

YWG/41 miles north...
Level Contributor
379 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam Questions:

I'll be in Vegas for only 4 nights.

However, I'm determined to not miss the Grand Canyon this time.

Houston, TX
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam Questions:

Do NOT take one of those Grand Canyon bus ride tours. I did so a few years ago because I, too, had never seen the Grand Canyon and was determined to see it. But the bus ride tour made it a VERY LONG day! I was on a crowded bus with every seat taken and the seats were very small. People were sick and coughing all around you and you had very little room and privacy.

If you have the money and can do it, take the airplane ride to the Grand Canyon and then do the bus tour at the park and take the airplane ride back to Las Vegas. It makes for a much shorter day and you won't be so tired.

There are several companies online that you can purchase your tour and tickets ahead of time to save money.

indiana
Level Contributor
222 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam Questions:

A few years ago we did the airplane to the Canyon. It was a 9 seater plane that took us to the West Rim-I think. It was part of an Indian reservation. Once we got there we did take a bus for about 30 minutes to another location where we were served a buffet lunch and given about 90 minutes to walk around and look at the view. We left about 8am and got back around 6 pm I believe. Worth it to us, to see the canyon. Some beautiful views. Would like to go back again this year and try a different area.

Newton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
948 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam Questions:

A word to the wise, from what I’ve been told, the west rim is a marketing gimmick. Yes there is a canyon to be seen but it’s apparently nothing like the north or south rim. I visited the south rim in January 2006 and it was beautiful, but it’s a long drive and really deserves an overnight trip at the minimum. From everything I’ve heard the west rim is only something you do if you have time to kill to/from the Grand Canyon. Just a little FYI.

6. Re: Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam Questions:

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 09:16