We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good taxi experience

Level Contributor
1,254 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Good taxi experience

I did a trip report but neglected to mention we had a very good cab experience while in Vegas. Yes. I know. Hard to believe.

Trip was hotel to airport.

Cab was spotless and driver clean and very polite. Music in the cab was soft and low volume.

Conversation was pleasant.

Route was direct and meter said only 15 dollars.

Driver jumped out quickly with a smile and set our bags on the curb.

I tipped him 10 bucks on that 15 dollar fare.

Mentioned in this post
16 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good taxi experience

I very very rarely ever have a poor taxi ride in Vegas. Usually in my experience the driver doesn't show interest in a high level of service with doors or luggage until AFTER a generous tip though.

This tells me they get stiffed & way under-tipped a lot but have good knowledge of the service skills of their trade. I am tipping the cabbie large because I'm being nice & I understand it's a hard job.

Since they already have my tip at that point they don't have to up their game but usually they do, scampering around to hold the door, luggage help, making sure a Bell Hop takes over before departing, etc.

Edited: 23 September 2017, 14:23
Mentioned in this post
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
29,083 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Good taxi experience

<<<I very very rarely ever have a poor taxi experience in Vegas.>>>

Me too. In hundreds of cab rides to/from all areas of the Valley, from the airport, from my house, from hotels I can remember one bad ride. It was really bad but other than than cant think of any others. With that said since Uber arrived in LV I dont think I have taken one cab ride since, not because of bad experiences just because normally Uber is much more convenient for me

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good taxi experience

Used a cab in Vegas once and had a bad experience, actually it was a very odd experience and I think that was the deal breaker for me. That was enough. Have used Lyft ever since. No problem.

Mentioned in this post
Richmond, Canada
Level Contributor
891 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good taxi experience

It's nice to hear, so many people on here, are quick to jump on the hate for cab drivers. Maybe they have had unfortunate experiences, so glad yours was positive. Thanks for sharing.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
44,985 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good taxi experience

If you do anything often enough the odds will catch up to you. But by and large we have had very few bad experiences. A couple of drivers drove too fast or somewhat recklessly. A couple who actually didn't know where they were going. A couple who didn't pay attention to us at all, they were occupied with something else. But these are exceptions, not the norm.

In the last 15 years or so (over 50 visits) we have been long-hauled from the airport ONCE. And we took appropriate action. Possibly the fact that I mention a route, or at least make sure they know we won't accept a bad route choice, is a factor here.

We use Lyft for all our rides in the city, including to the airport. But we will continue to take a cab airport to hotel, until/unless they make the ride share pick up area more convenient.

All things considered we have been pleased with our LV experiences through the years.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good taxi experience

Our visit was 7 nights, had taxi from and too the airport (not prearranged) had a minimum of 2 taxied each day and never had an issue, all was either very good and 1 was excellent (and all was tipped handsomely as a result)

Yes Uber may be cheaper but I don't use Uber and have no intentions of starting

United States
Level Contributor
26,043 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good taxi experience

I'm not a fan of Uber in Vegas. Some of the pickup points are a bit hard to find or out of the way. I usually just get in the usually short taxi line. That being said, I do use Uber sometimes just depending where I am.

Mentioned in this post
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
15,411 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good taxi experience

Thanks for sharing a positive experience!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
5,227 posts
1,134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good taxi experience

<<It's nice to hear, so many people on here, are quick to jump on the hate for cab drivers. >>

What post are you referring too? Which one talks about hate?

Sturgeon Bay...
Level Contributor
6,655 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good taxi experience

rockyjoe,I believe they are talking about the dislike for cabbies posted in the past. I no longer use the cabs in Vegas because of too many screw-ups. Used Lyft for the first time a short time ago and will use them more as it was a very positive experience.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Good taxi experience
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted