We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years in Vegas with children

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
New Years in Vegas with children

We are coming from Australia for a couple of weeks to see the US and Canada, and currently the itinerary that works best for all other destinations has us in Vegas over the New Year period. Whilst it isn't ideal timing as we have a 12 yo daughter with us and aren't lovers of super crowds, if we don't got at this time, we may have to leave it off the list for this holiday. I'm sure it goes without saying that this time of year will be madness in Vegas, but my question is, if we were to head out to an early show and back to our Hotel by 9pm to watch fireworks from our room, would we avoid all the crowds or is constant all day and night. Thanks for your feedback :)

Special Offer
Grand Canyon All-American Helicopter...
6,704 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,203 Reviews
from US$139.99*
US$224.90
Grand Canyon 4-in-1 Helicopter Tour
926 Reviews
from US$598.99*
28 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, Las Vegas, South Australia
Level Contributor
10,253 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years in Vegas with children

Greetings

If you stay in your hotel room, you will avoid the crowds....

I suggest you select a hotel which offers a good view, and dine at that hotel

You should consider that the Strip will be closed to traffic on the night

Bon voyage :-)

AT

Greater London...
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years in Vegas with children

The strip gets closed to traffic at 5pm on NYE and that is when the crowds start to grow. It becomes difficult to get anywhere as there will be no public transport or cabs going down or across the strip.

I would suggest getting back to your hotel well before 9pm. I would say 7pm

Make sure you choose your hotel room carefully so you can ensure a good view of the strip if you want to watch the fireworks. A strip view on NYE can be VERY expensive.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years in Vegas with children

No need to be back in your room by 7 pm. Yes there are a lot of people walking along the strip once it closes but with all lanes open to pedestrians it’s not overly crowded. It really doesn’t start to really pack up along the strip until after 11 pm when everyone comes out to see fireworks.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
5,156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: New Years in Vegas with children

Have you priced it out? A strip room on NYE is pretty expensive if you have to pay for it.

You'll definitely want to be back in your room by 9 as the party gets started and as not3d transport will be limited. Pick a show that's an easy walk.

San Diego
Level Contributor
5,206 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Years in Vegas with children

Do yourself a favor and look up nye vegas on youtube. You will see the giant crowds. For me, its not something I would take a 12 year old to. To easy to get lost.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
29,804 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: New Years in Vegas with children

You will be fine back by 9, but better if you choose something at your hotel ir choose your hotel based off of the show.

Lanarkshire
Destination Expert
for Quarteira, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
3,452 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Years in Vegas with children

Im well known for having the view that a trip to Vegas is not the best for kids, which I always say from a place of well meaning. I think the NYE magnifies that view IMO.

1) As others have said, the cost is usually a lot higher on NYE, especially if you want a strip view to see fireworks.

2) The strip is closed early so getting to and from hotels is a bit of a challenge from late afternoon meaning the show idea would more likely need to be in the hotel you stay in.

3) The things that most people who have done it with kids recommend will be less accessible over those dates.

Edited: 17 October 2017, 14:58
Lakeville, Minnesota
Level Contributor
4,464 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Years in Vegas with children

You will probably be OK as long as you are back in your room an hour or two before crowds start gathering on strip for good viewpoint of fireworks. We used to go for NYE all the time but the crowds started getting to me and it was not enjoyable anymore. Have fun - I am sure your 12 yr. old will have a good time, just keep a very good hold on her as the crowds do not care if she is 12 or 50 - they will plow over her to get where they are going-one of our NYE trips I was knocked over but caught by my husband who had my arm before I hit the ground.

Vista, California
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: New Years in Vegas with children

"we have a 12 yo. daughter with us and aren't lovers of super crowds..."

You have at least two reasons to skip LV.

Level Contributor
182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Years in Vegas with children

Skip LV and try for another time.

It's cold, no pools, long lines and you will have to go stay in your room to avoid the crowds NYE is known for. Doesn't sound fun to me especially for a 12 yr old.

You are thinking about show. Well what will you do until the show? Also stay in your room?

Skip it and try for spring or summer.

Edited: 17 October 2017, 17:16
Reply to: New Years in Vegas with children
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted