We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadians flying out of Detroit.

Ajax, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Canadians flying out of Detroit.

Hey fellow Vegastonians ;)

This will be my 8th trip to Vegas in two years I live in Toronto so obviously I fly out of Toronto. However this time I thought I would plan a road trip and fly out of Detroit. My Wife and I booked with NWA and got a great deal and ended up saving about $800-$900.

My question is have any Canadians done this and for those that have, did you run into any problems crossing the border,customs etc. I doubt that we will but thought I would ask any way.

I'm not in Vegas yet, but in my mind I'm walking the Strip with a cold Corona.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
The Strip
The Strip
27,810 Reviews
Las Vegas, NV
Toronto, On Canada
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadians flying out of Detroit.

Thats a very long drive to Detroit..did you check out Buffalo..I would fly out of Buffalo before Detroit as it's only a 2 hour drive to the border compared to 4 to detroit..just curious.

Erie Michigan
Level Contributor
834 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadians flying out of Detroit.

If I remember right it's only like a 4 hour drive. Detroit is nice to fly into and out of also as the security lines and such always seem to be faster than most places I've been (including when I was in Toronto). I'm sure others have had other experiences though.

Buffalo is an option, the only downside is that buffalo flights to las vegas aren't direct ones so you lose a good chunk of the 2 hours you would save on your drive (if you already have the tickets this is immaterial).

Main things are to make sure you have your passport handy as they ALWAYS seem to check for it lately as well as your i.d. and whatever else they might ask to see, proof of roundtrip flight perhaps since your going to have obvious luggage probably and they will ask you where you are going and what your doing.

About all I can think of. Good luck and hope you enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadians flying out of Detroit.

Just tell the duty gaurd that you are heading to the Detroit airport to fly to LV. No problems what so ever.

The thing you might want to look into is what time you fly out of Detroit. If it is an early flight, you might want to consider a sleep and fly package. Most sleep and fly will include one week of free parking, and you won't have to worry about crossing the boarder (wait time), and you don't have to wake up 5 to 6 hours earlier, 4 hours drive, 1 hour for boarder wait, and 1 extra hour for unforseen problems, like park and fly, and traffic problems.

Do your homework on this, check the hotels you are considering staying at here on Tripadvisor, some of the cheap sleep and fly motels are really run down and really scary. I personally stayed at one motel that was made for Fear Factor, should have done my homework and looked at Tripadvisor, instead I did a google search, and the internet said it was just recently renovated.....I guess changing a light bulb is consider renovated with the dump I stayed at :-)

Have fun.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
133 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadians flying out of Detroit.

when are you flying out of Detroit? you shouldn't have a problem with the border crossing just tell them where you are going and make sure you have all your paperwork handy.

hamilton Ontario
Level Contributor
411 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadians flying out of Detroit.

I'm a canadian and I've flown out of both Buffalo and Detroit both for work and pleasure. I've worked in the USA so my 'relationship' with homeland security/customs has been a bit different than the usual traveler. I find Detroit border a bit tougher to cross, but again, that was when I was crossing to work and I, admittedly, didn't have all my ducks in a row. For the canadian crossing for pleasure it hasn't been a problem at all.

given the choice I now cross in Sarnia at the Blue Water Bridge, but that is out of your way. I wouldn't worry about crossing in Detroit, I've done it many times without a problem (and once turned back.. sob)

It's pretty straight forward to the airport too. Are you paying for parking or using park n fly? Park n fly accomodations start at around $65 or so. Long term parking for a week cost around $30 give or take.. and depending on which company/hotel you go with..

airportparkingreservations.com/airports/…

Link for Parking choices for Detroit airport includes park n fly and long term parking. above..

If you're not doing park and fly remember to give yourself lots of time to cross the border in case of delays on the bridge, customs, traffic, etc. But usually you're going for a short trip to Vegas there really shouldn't be a problem.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
hamilton Ontario
Level Contributor
411 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canadians flying out of Detroit.

OOPS sorry, I put in the wrong dates for parking..

A week parking is around $50 or $60 .. sorry.

Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Canadians flying out of Detroit.

Smirk,

Are you leaving from Pickering?? If so, you are looking at a long drive. We fly every year from Detroit. We are from London and it takes close to 3 hours to get to the airport depending on customs at the boarder...not the questions part, but the line to get to the booth to be questioned. If you do decide to cross at Windsor, take the tunnel, it is a little faster and easier to navigate on to I-75 once you are through. Have all of your documentation ready and it will go quickly. You might also want to try and break your travel into parts. There are many inexpensive hotels near the airport that will let you park for free (we paid $40/night). Say at one the night before so there isn't such pressure to get to the airport on time.

Ajax, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Canadians flying out of Detroit.

The trip is already booked, and yes we will be leaving from Pickering,the 4 hour drive doesn't bother me, if all i have to do is drive 4 hours to save $800 i'll do it :) I looked @ Buffalo but as one member said they are not direct or non-stop which is a big plus for me.

The only thing I am torn about is my flight leaves detroit @ 7pm, so do I drive down the same day as I leave or stay a night?

you guys ROCK I love this forum.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canadians flying out of Detroit.

Smirk,

The only direct Buffalo to LV is on Southwest, once a day.

I typically fly Northwest or Delta out of Buffalo to LV and am forced to do a 1 stop.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canadians flying out of Detroit.

Smirk,

If your flight leaves at 7PM, I would leave after morning rush hour (9 AM), and just relax in Detroit if you arrive early. You should be at the Detroit airport about 4 PM (30 minutes for park and fly and the shuttle to the airport), so if you arrive on time in Detroit (about 2PM) just grab a late lunch, and slowly head to the airport. It's always better to show up early than late. If you show up late, your trip report on LV will either be very short, or very exspensive :-)

Catch up on your sleep on the plane.

Cheers