We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR March 26-April 1 Mirage, NYNY and more...Part II

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
8 posts
Save Topic
TR March 26-April 1 Mirage, NYNY and more...Part II

Thank you for all of the BD wishes and yes a Greyhound is a vodka & grapefruit juice. More of my story.....

Day 3 (Wednesday) Part 2- Son arrived at MGM at about 1PM and after all hugs and kisses he decided to try to check in. Some good info- when he was looking for a room a few months back, I told him to sign up online for the Players Card and then to book his room with the promo code given here for members. He did and received a room rate of $59, $59 and $119 + tax - in a Grand Tower room-it was a great deal for him. He had no problems- just picked up his card when he arrived. It was much more reasonable then purchasing a package deal. He also received $25 food credit and 2 free drinks at the West Wing bar. He was hungry. so I treated him at the Studio Cafe at the MGM- Hubby did not want to go. I had a Patty Melt and softdrink and he had a Monte Christo and softdrink. Good sandwiches- total was $42 with tip- I charged it to my room at the Mirage. We then went over to NYNY because now it was frozen Marguarita time. There is a place just outside of Coyote Ugly- Hubby got the refillable football with 2 xtra shots and bought Son the Cowboy boot with 2 xtra shots- total $42. I tried to get Son to give me copy of the pic those 2 fools with thier day long drinks - but no way.

The one thing I learned on this trip is that my Son does not have my bad gambling habits. He is much more conservative and quits when he is ahead- he will not play slots- although he did play video poker at the Wynn (more on that later). So we all sat down and played Let-it-Ride. I was the first out, then Hubby - Son played for awhile and cashed out ahead. I went back to slots and Son went to Roulette. Hubby went to get a refill on football (believe it) and Son was just shaking his head. Now it was time for me to leave with Mr Football-2 xtra shots 2x makes one quite tipsy. We head back to the Mirage via cab- total this time was $10 including tip. We retire for the night at about 10:30PM- Hubby snoring at 10:35 and wasting 1/2 football of good drink. I call Son at about 11PM and he said he was heading for his room too- he works nights and had left for airport that morning right after work- so it was a long day for him. By the way - Mom and Dad were flying in from Cleveland that night and staying at the MGM also- figured they would get in around 12AM and just couldn't stay up. Decided to call them in the AM. No luck today again- naturally hit the ATM.

Day 4 (Thursday)- Woke at 8AM and called the Folks first thing. Mom answered and decided we would meet at 12PM in lobby at MGM. We had to check out by 11am from the Mirage and then would head over to NYNY and check in. When we checked out- we owed 0. They had comped all of the food and even the tips so far. Headed to NYNY and tried to check in but was told room would not be ready until 1PM. We took bags to BellHop and then went sraight to $1 Video Poker. There are 6 machines back to back right next to the Players Club- 3 are a DB Progressive and 3 are a Bonus Progressive. The DB was at about $4600 and the Bonus was at $5500. We played the DB and I hit 4 Aces for $800- good no ATM needed so far today. Went over to MGM and met up with Son and Parents. We decided that we were going to walk to the Wynn. Nice gambling break and weather was beautiful- maybe low 70's. Folks like to walk- they had just got home from their house in Florida where they walk and golf daily- probably in better shape then me! It was a long walk- but pleasant. Son and Parents went to sign up for Red Card- we already had one. They received the offer - that if they get 100 points in first trip- they would receive a free buffet for 2- plus they each receive $10 FP. OK- now here is the video poker story. Son played a .25 progressive on his $10 and hit 4 tens and then 4 Aces- cashed out at $200- nice little profit...but there is more to the story later. We were going to eat at the buffet that night but no one was really hungry yet. We decided that we would return tomorrow and that is where we would have my BD dinner. Also Sons Army buddy was driving in from LA on Friday and he would join us. We decided to cab it back to NYNY. Went to the Taxi stand at the Wynn and it was a mile long so we walked all the way to the Mirage and caught a cab there. Total for 5 was $11 with tip. Forgot to tell you that that they had given us our room key before 1- but we had not been to room yet. We all went up- it was in the New Yorker tower on the top floor - 17th. We had a Marquis Suite- it was nice- but we have stayed in the Ziggaraut Suite before and think that is much nicer. The room was very large with 2 couches, small table with 4 chairs, King bed, Jacuzzi in same room. Bathroom was quite small and shower was part of tub. I like walk in showers- but I will never complain about a Comped room. View was nice- facing MGM and Tropicana. Folks decided to call it a night and we decided to try to get into Gallaghers Steakhouse. Well- forget that- definitely needed reservations. We ended up at the American. Ordered 2 sweet and sour chicken appes- which were delicious. Hubby ordered the aged NY sirloin steak, me Country Fried Steak dinner and Son an Asian chicken dish. MIne- ok for the choice. Sons- liked alot and had to show off using his chopsticks (never could get the hang of those things) and Hubbys steak was EXCELLENT. Here we come to find out from the server that it is the same steak that Gallaghers prepares- only 1/2 the price. Total was $102 including tip- charged to room. Although Hubby did not indulge in any drinks today and actually- not even one the rest of the trip (footballs did him in)- it was time to say goodnight. Son said he was going to play some roulette- we told him to stay away from the "Ladies of the Night".

Part III coming tomorrow: BD celebration, big hit, Son and Buddys all nighter (and no- I do not want to know), celebrating the Buckeyes victory (well not anymore), another big hit, saying goodbyes and trip home.

Acton, Canada
Level Contributor
11,585 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR March 26-April 1 Mirage, NYNY and more...Part II

Great Tr. Now I want a football drink from NYNY!

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: TR March 26-April 1 Mirage, NYNY and more...Part II

Great TR! It sounds like you had fun.

A question - you were able to charge your meals to a different MGM property? (Ate at MGM, charged to Mirage.) I've never heard of this. I thought you could only charge to your room if the resturant was in the hotel you are staying at...

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,410 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR March 26-April 1 Mirage, NYNY and more...Part II

Thanks Cyndi, great report, can't wait to hear more . . . I like America also, it gets many bad reviews on here but I've never had a bad experience there. Thanks for the steak tip (pun intended).

Cleveland, Ohio
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: TR March 26-April 1 Mirage, NYNY and more...Part II

Katylou2- Yes we were able to charge to our room at different MGM properties when staying at an MGM property. Usually they will ask for your ID also to verify that it is you- they check on their computer and when the bill prints out is does have your name and room # on it. We have always charged to our room for the chance of it being comped. We have never had a problem.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TR March 26-April 1 Mirage, NYNY and more...Part II

These TRs are so much fun to read. Makes me feel like part of the family. :)

Midland,TX
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TR March 26-April 1 Mirage, NYNY and more...Part II

are the refills free?? or at a discounted price? Sorry - i figure they are not free - but have to ask.

Thanks. & Great trip report.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,092 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TR March 26-April 1 Mirage, NYNY and more...Part II

I wonder what happened to Cindi....anxiously awaiting Part 3.

8. Re: TR March 26-April 1 Mirage, NYNY and more...Part II

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 12:23