We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time off a problem?

Bismarck, ND
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
Time off a problem?

I have found that the older I get, I am able to afford to go to Las Vegas more often than ever. Since I'm single, it is no problem for me to go there whenever I feel like it. However, the getting time off seems to be a problem. The job I have I can't just take off for a couple of days whenever I feel like it (large corporation, i.e. forms, paperwork, etc..), or else I don't have the vacation time saved up. I've even tried to get unpaid time off, but no dice. "The Man" won't hear of it. Anyone else encounter this problem, having the $$$ but not the time?

Mentioned in this post
Special Offer
Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Helicopter...
6,622 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam from Las...
5,110 Reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
403 Reviews
from US$529.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter and...
914 Reviews
from US$598.99*
US$650.00
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time off a problem?

Similar problem - just different destinations ;-)

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Time off a problem?

I'll trade ya - I can get the time, just running out of $$ for as many trips as I'd like to take. Can you do a Friday to Sunday? I've done a couple of the 48 hr trips just to get my "fill".

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
554 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time off a problem?

Loveland, to do the 48 hr trip, where do you stay? What activities do you do? I went in February and would love to go again June but can't afford another expense trip. I'm torn between going in June for a few days or waiting until next year and staying a whole week to see the things I've missed.

Although I did a lot on my trip in February, I got wore out fast because of the time change and didn't do all that I had planned.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time off a problem?

heh....y'all just need to move here : )

Belle River, Ontario
Level Contributor
396 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time off a problem?

Yes - very frustrating! And I get more than five weeks of vacation, but end up losing a large chunk of it every year, because I just can't find the time to take it all. The longer I work at this company, the more responsibility I take on.

Still end up getting to Sin City once a year for 3-4 days, but that just isn't cutting it.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time off a problem?

Yes definitely. It has always been difficult to coordinate vacations with my husband anyway, then owned our own business for a year and half (nightmare). Now we've just moved to Florida, thus starting NEW jobs. I booked the trip anyway and we just told our employers up front that we needed time off in June. Not a problem, but won't be able to go back for awhile after that. :-(

Redmond, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time off a problem?

It is one of the weird things about jobs they give you time off when your sick but not when you feel good.

Try this, call your boss and say I feel too good to come to work today. My head is clear and my body feels great, my allergies aren't affecting me and on top of that I really feel lucky and I'm going to vegas.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
762 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Time off a problem?

My boyfriend couldn't get an extra day off to stay longer in Vegas. He gets 5 days of vacation a year...and two of those are sick days.

Mentioned in this post
Kingman, Arizona
Level Contributor
693 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Time off a problem?

I get 4 weeks off a year and as long as I plan a vacation monthes (like 4 - 6), notify everyone, I get to take my vacation no matter what. Only problem is that I can't just say hey, lets go to vegas cause I fell lucky!

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Time off a problem?

We do the 48 hr thing to gamble....not sightsee. We usually only stay 3-4 nights anyway. It's a quick flight for us (1.5 hrs).

After our last trip (and loss) I vowed to my husband that we're not going back for a while. Yesterday I said "you DO know that we're going soon, right?" Thankfully - he's easy going, loves to play craps and more than likely knew I was going to say that one of these days.