We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic Delays/Free Parking ?s Etc. at Hoover Dam

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Traffic Delays/Free Parking ?s Etc. at Hoover Dam

We'll be leaving Central Utah at about 8:30 a.m. for Henderson, Nevada this Friday, 4/27 for a 5 p.m. wedding. I'd like to take the formal tour of Hoover Dam and know you have to skirt Las Vegas to get there. Map Quest says the drive (with no stops of course) should take just under 5 hours from our starting point. Has anyone driven to the dam on a Friday afternoon? How much traffic will I likely encounter, is there an actual checkpoint you have to stop at before the dam and how much time should I add for the above delays? I don't want to have to pay $7.00 to park in addition to the cost of the tour. Is there plenty of free parking on the Arizona side of the dam and how much more time will it take to park on that side and walk across to the visitor's center? Will there be additional delays coming back to Henderson? About how long is the tour and will my teenagers be bored? If there's any time left over after we get back to Henderson before the wedding I'd also like to check out the cactus gardens at the Ethel M. Chocolate Factory and the Clark County Heritage Museum. Thanks for your help!

Sin City
Level Contributor
899 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic Delays/Free Parking ?s Etc. at Hoover Dam

If you were to park at the farhtest lot on the AZ side of the dam it would take no more than 20 minutes to walk back to the dam visitor center for the tour. This is if you walk vewy slow. Going back to your car should be no more than 30 minutes as it is uphill. Again, only vewy slow walkers will take that long. Traffic back to Henderson should be pretty smooth. There is a checkpoint before you're allowed to drive over the dam, but very few people actually get searched and you get through it rather quickly.

For the cactus gardens take the Sunset Rd exit off the 95 go west on Sunset, after you head up the little hill stay to the right side to get on Mountain Vista, go right at the first light, the cactus garden is on the left side of the road.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
66 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic Delays/Free Parking ?s Etc. at Hoover Dam

The tour starts with a short video and then you are taken on the underground portion of the tour which lasts 30 minutes. You'll want to allot some time to take in the scenery from the top of the dam after your tour too. My teen sons (15 & 19) thought it was very interesting and got a lot out of the tour. Our family felt it was well worth the time it took and are glad we decided to go.

Boston
Level Contributor
15,119 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic Delays/Free Parking ?s Etc. at Hoover Dam

Well, I am a dam adult with the dam maturity level of a dam teenager and I dam well enjoyed the dam tour.

Oh admit, it, you're just sore because you didn't think to say it first :)

Seriously, if your kids like history, or architecture, or really big machinery, there will be something for them at the Hoover Dam. They might be a little bored during the video portion, but they'll like the rest of it. You can tell them they can stand on the bridge over the dam and have one foot in the Pacific and one foot in the Mountain Time Zone. (For no apparent reason, this is fascinating to many people, including myself.)

Kettering, United...
Level Contributor
435 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic Delays/Free Parking ?s Etc. at Hoover Dam

Unfortunately the Pacific time zone and Mountain time are the same at the monent (or they were when I was there last week!)

Build in plenty of time for traffic delays at the Dam as we were delayed over an hour (Saturday morning), this was going from Vegas.

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traffic Delays/Free Parking ?s Etc. at Hoover Dam

I forgot to ask, how often do the tours start?

Nebraska
Level Contributor
66 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traffic Delays/Free Parking ?s Etc. at Hoover Dam

I believe they were pretty much continuous. We had only a short time to wait before the next tour started. Here is a website that has information on the tours and can probably give you more specific information.

www.usbr.gov/lc/hooverdam

7. Re: Traffic Delays/Free Parking ?s Etc. at Hoover Dam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 08:18