We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flamingo theft

us
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Flamingo theft

I'm posting to warn anyone who will be staying at the Flamingo to lock up anything you want to go home with in the safe. I had a Tiffany silver necklace and a watch stolen while staying at the Flamingo. The hotel will not do anything about it since it was not in the safe. I understand their point about using the safe. It was my fault for not putting them in there. Neither items were very expensive, so I didn't really think the maid would take them. Nothing is going to be done to the maid because this is the first claim against her. Just wanted to post a reminder about using the hotel safe, even if it is something that is

us
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Flamingo theft

not very expensive...

Sorry for the double post...my computer got in a hurry.

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flamingo theft

This is one reason I don't let the maids clean the room when I'm there. I can go 3 nights without maid service. Of course they can get into my room even if I put up the "do not disturb" sign, but they are much more likely to steal something if they are already in there and can see it plain as day.

Boston
Level Contributor
15,119 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flamingo theft

Very sorry to hear about your experience. Thefts like this can happen anywhere. If you have a valuable item that is non-replaceable, keep it in the hotel safe behind the front desk - if anything happens to it, the hotel is responsible. Otherwise, you have no legal recourse.

Other valuables should be kept in the in-room safe, if available - this will deter non-professional thieves. Otherwise, just keep them out of sight in a non-obvious place.

It is worth pointing out that someone could have entered your room while the maid was cleaning it, pretending they are you and just "forgot something", and stolen your valuables. Staff often get blamed for things that aren't always their fault. On the other hand, if that maid really did steal your stuff, eventually she will get caught stealing.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
489 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flamingo theft

I have a question regarding the safe at the Flamingo since I wil be staying there in July....will my 15.4" laptop fit in the safe and if not will I have to lock it up at the front desk every day....and yes I want to bring it.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
3,107 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flamingo theft

If your laptop does not fit in the safe, lock it in your suitcase also - when you leave your room make sure the door is closed and locked behind you - some hotel doors don't "catch" right and although they seem closed, they really aren't.

us
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Flamingo theft

Traveler -

I don't think your laptop will fit in the safe. We had two Go rooms with two sizes of safes. The first room had a very narrow safe that could not hold much at all. The second rooms safe was a bit larger, but still not large enough for a laptop. I have known people who lock their laptop in their luggage.

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Flamingo theft

I think this is a good reminder for all of us-no matter where we are stayng. This has happened (more than once) at all the hotels- strip, downtown and off strip. If it is expensive or has sentimental value- lock it up or keep it at home.

CA
Level Contributor
4,912 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flamingo theft

I put my laptop in the safe in a Go room last week. I also left it out sometimes. Maybe I have been lucky but I do this all the time with many items and I have never had anything stolen.

Arizona
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Flamingo theft

Theft from hotel rooms are not too common, but it can happen at any hotel.

I usually take the minimum with me and take all my valuables (cash and jewelry) with me in my purse

us
Level Contributor
9,142 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Flamingo theft

I say this repeatedly - the in-room safes are NOT safe.

use the hotel safety deposit box. free, available 24/7 and SECURE.