We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 6/15-22 Westin, GN, Champagne Circle, etc.

Kennewick...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 6/15-22 Westin, GN, Champagne Circle, etc.

Will post trip report below. Got back on 22nd, might go again in July if we can swing it. Had to go right back out of town till just now, so report delayed. Just now getting caught up on sleep...often up till 4 -5 am drinking redbull and vodkas. :-)

Kennewick...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 6/15-22 Westin, GN, Champagne Circle, etc.

Trip Report Vegas 2007

We flew Allegiant on Friday night and arrived in Vegas around 8:15 pm. We took the white shuttle bus to the Car Rental place and got right into our car. It was slick having joined the Dollar Express thing beforehand. We used directions from this site to get from rental place to In and Out Burger then on to Golden Nugget. The In and Out Burger was as good as always. I even got the Double-Double. Hopefully not too long report below:

Hotels:

We stayed at Golden Nugget and Westin. Golden Nugget was not as good for us this time…lost in a huge crowd of people, room nothing special, no drink service whatsoever, and so we gambled elsewhere. Best point, though, was the pool. That was a worthwhile experience and a fun few hours swimming “with” the sharks and drinking frozen drinks poolside.

Westin was a breath of fresh air and a really nice surprise. I had a feeling we would like it, but it is right up our alley. It may be our first repeat hotel in Vegas (other than GN which we had stayed at one night before a few years ago). It was cool, relaxing, comfortable, small, un-smokey, and the rooms (mainly beds) were unbelievably comfortable. Westin worked out great for us for comps and we got to become “known” by the cashiers and cocktail waitresses and that was very nice. We got good drinks at a regular pace. Also… my best gambling experience happened there. Worst part of Westin: Pool is nothing much to bother with, although cold water made it refreshing.

Gambling (etc): We decided this time to sign up for and use all possible players cards and this worked out great. Absolute best deal was The Wynn, where we each got $25 in free slot play and only had to earn 100 points on one account to win two buffets. We each won two buffets so ate the Wynn dinner buffet twice (would cost $33 per person normally per trip). Also, to get the 100 points, we were able to get the first 100 pts pretty much with free slot play, but came out a tiny bit ahead too. For the second 100 points a different day we put money in, but I actually won $300 so we liked the Wynn.

Worst Gambling: We went up and down to various areas at first, downtown and at Harrah’s, Flamingo, Bills, IP, and played our old fave bonus slots such as green stamps, lucky lemmings, jewel something, giant wheel of fortune and let go of lots of money (for penny slot players) with little reward or even fun…. We kept ending up at machines that made little noise and just didn’t give many bonuses….

Best Gambling: So… we decided we would just deal with the fact that Video Poker with less bells and whistles would be our game. We trudged back to Westin our first night on strip and started out 25 cent VP. Soon after I got the Royal Flush and won $1000. How thrilling. My biggest win ever! We managed to stay ahead or win from then on out $30 here, $100 there, and took home as much cash as we brought (for food, drinks and gambling). The comp program at Westin made it easy to win comp dollars and points.

Meal Highlights: Free Wynn Buffets, Ellis Island steak dinner twice-once free {just today got back from Park City where I went for a work trip and there I ordered a $33 sirloin meal (more when you add wine, dessert, sides) at Prime Steak House and it came with nothing but an overcooked piece of meat. I mean, there wasn’t even a spring of parsley or a little asparagus. I thought about that Ellis Island steak dinner and it was 10 times better.} Room Service breakfast at Westin free last morning. In and Out Burger twice…yummm… Pink Taco was fun at Hard Rock Hotel. Probably wouldn’t make sure to return though. Main Street Station’s Triple Seven brewpub was excellent and a great environment. Would return for sure. Rosemary’s was fun and the food was good, but for us maybe not spectacular. I had tomato soup, mahi mahi and lemon icebox pie. The main course was the best. Service was super great, but the distant trip isn’t something we would likely do again.

Shows: Le Reve with seats in the champagne circle. The show was one where you were in awe and this included both visually and with sound. Very interesting. Best experience there, though, was that we had the comfy seats with great views, and were served a full bottle of good champagne and snacked on chocolate dipped strawberries. I recommend. If you are looking to just save money, though, the seats in the regular section would still have excellent views. I wouldn’t want the water seats because you might have to look straight up at times. Bought soundtrack

Mamma Mia was such great fun. I keep thinking about it and also bought the soundtrack. Thanks to someone on here who posted the half price code thing, we had great seats and had a blast. Would see again.

Menopause…. The musical at the Hilton. We had never been to Hilton, it was kinda cool with its theme. The show was in a nightclub setting so your view can be blocked. Good to get in early and scout good seat. Very funny. Should have brought soundtrack. WE got tickets at the Half Price Ticket booth at Fashion Show Mall, so that that was nice.

Drinks: Downtown…the WINNER by far of best drink service and then later best drink was La Bayou- a little hole-in-the wall, kind of smelly place with people passing out beads. We meant to go in to buy a big old frozen drink having heard raves, but never made it far because two steps in the door, not even gambling yet we were offered drinks. They had four or five waitresses in this tiny place offering drinks so constantly, that we at times had three drinks each. We left without the frozen drink because frankly, we were drunk! Next morning we went there again, refused the free drinks offered the second we walked in, and ordered the big frozen drinks (after sampling some). GOOD!

Tips: 1) If you don’t have players cards at certain places, even little places like Terribles or Ellis Island, get them. We got four tshirts, a much $10 chevron cards, four buffets, $50 dollar meal comps, dice, and more. We also think we will be able to choose from at least some offers on our next trip. As new cardholder, you get the freebies. 2) at Wynn, get the VIP seats/package if you are a new member. Then, when you win the free buffet, you can use your VIP pass to avoid the buffet lines. That line pass was as valuable to us as the buffet itself.

Hope you could manage through my long report here. We sure had fun. Maybe our best Vegas trip to date.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,618 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 6/15-22 Westin, GN, Champagne Circle, etc.

Hi javari....welcome back! I've been waiting for your TR! =)

Sorry the GN wasn't great for you, but it sounds like the Westin made up for that. Aren't those "heavenly beds" great?!

Congrats on your Royal Flush!! That is very cool!

Thanks for the update on champagne seats at Le Reve....someone else posted about them too in the last few days. Glad you liked the show...I have the CD in my car CD player right now! After reading about the new seats, I might consider that if I go see it again!

Thanks for posting..sounds like you had fun!

vancouver
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 6/15-22 Westin, GN, Champagne Circle, etc.

Excellent trip report, loved how you broke it all down !! Its great you were able to come home with money to boot. Sounds like you had a great time and I am sooo jealous you get to go back so soon :)

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 6/15-22 Westin, GN, Champagne Circle, etc.

Interesting report about the Westin. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Sounds like the GN is a little overwhelmed with tourists. We like downtown best, but don't gamble at GN ...just no luck there. It was fun to read about la Bayou ... too bad we aren't drinkers, that sounds like a blast.

I saw Menopause here in Des Moines a couple years ago, it is a hoot!! Glad you enjoyed it.

Did you gamble other places downtown?

Thanks for the TR.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
9,856 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 6/15-22 Westin, GN, Champagne Circle, etc.

javarai,

That's a great trip report. Winning a little something does't hurt!

Kennewick...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 6/15-22 Westin, GN, Champagne Circle, etc.

Well, at LaBayou it was almost a challenge to see just how many drinks they would give us and WE drew the limit when they started lining up. We were gambling on five bucks each at a penny slot at that point.

We gambled everywhere downtown almost. I liked Binions a lot. We also thought the Fremont was pretty good. No big wins, no big losses, but good environment. Oh yeah, at Binions we got some free slot play and then a free spaghetti dinner.

Kennewick...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 6/15-22 Westin, GN, Champagne Circle, etc.

oh yeah, I meant to say that it was over 100 degrees every single day we were there,,,, very hot. I don't normally burn and did a little bit. LOVED the deal on the Monorail and my friend thought she wanted to walk from Westin to Wynn (which we had already done probably twice) but I preferred monorail and shuttle combo plan. We raced. We got there at the exact same time, her at a casual pace, cooling off at times on the way, me having minor waits at monorail and then Convention Center shuttle to Wynn. I still am happy I did it my way since I had injured my foot a bit and also arrived quite a bit cooler and more relaxed.

Kennewick...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 6/15-22 Westin, GN, Champagne Circle, etc.

bumped it up, see..I really did write one... and good thing I reread it... I forgot about the vodka redbull nights....late nights.

Ballys Tequilla Bar
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report 6/15-22 Westin, GN, Champagne Circle, etc.

"Royal Flush and won $1000. How thrilling. My biggest win ever! We managed to stay ahead or win from then on out $30 here, $100 there, and took home as much cash as we brought (for food, drinks and gambling). The comp program at Westin made it easy to win comp dollars and points. "

Congratulations! Always makes for a happier trip!

Staunch Steve is going to love your thoughts On the El Steak!

I want to see mamaMia before it leaves.....

Glad you had a good time, and thanks for bumping!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,092 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report 6/15-22 Westin, GN, Champagne Circle, etc.

Thanks Javarai...where is the Westin...and how did you score the VIP passes. I have only heard of the Wynn doing the free buffet thing.