We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where do you leave your housekeeping tip?

CT
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
where do you leave your housekeeping tip?

Last time I left $5 on the nightstand and when we came back it was still there. So then I left it with a note on the counter in the bathroom everyday there after.

Maybe that wasn't enough ??

If you leave a tip each morning, where do you leave it so that the housekeepers know it is meant for them???

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,569 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,035 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
570 reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Luxury...
357 reviews
from US$299.99*
US$399.00
Near Chicago
Level Contributor
714 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where do you leave your housekeeping tip?

I"ve always left my housekeeping tips on the bed since they make that for us daily. Can't miss it there!

I believe that they are not allowed to touch items left on the night stand. That could explain why your $$ was left there.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
809 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where do you leave your housekeeping tip?

I always put mine on the tv under the remote. Mostly because in the past I had noticed that the staff always put the remote back on the tv. If they leave a card, I put the card with it. I've also left a note saying thank you with it.

nevada
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: where do you leave your housekeeping tip?

On the Pillow , on the bed.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
6,957 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where do you leave your housekeeping tip?

At a lot of the hotels have a tray of some sort that they put on the bed. I usually put the money there. If there is a card with housekeeping information left out, I put it there. Otherwise I leave it on the desk with a note thanking them.

Brownsville, Texas
Level Contributor
792 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where do you leave your housekeeping tip?

They always found it when we put it on the pillow on the bed.

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: where do you leave your housekeeping tip?

Wherever the card or envelope is. If there aren't any- I leave it on the night stand but always leave a note with it. I forgot the note once and the money was still there when I returned. She obviously did not want to be accused of stealing my money.

Honolulu
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where do you leave your housekeeping tip?

As I sleep in late each morning, I tend to hand the enevolpe to the room attendant when I ask for more towels and/or when I leave the room to go out. For every day I miss, I will leave one envelope on top of the writing table before checking out with a box of Hawaiian Macadamia Nuts Chocolate as a "Thank You".

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where do you leave your housekeeping tip?

On the bed, what's on the nightstand is yours, what's on the bed is theirs.

Level Contributor
8,463 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: where do you leave your housekeeping tip?

"So then I left it with a note on the counter in the bathroom everyday there after."

Hk are contractors, not tipped employees, that is why you recieve service even when a tip is offered. Save your money unlees you need something extra like towels or soap.

us
Level Contributor
9,142 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: where do you leave your housekeeping tip?

anywhere - since you will ALWAYS leave a thank you for the housekeeper they know it is for them. Some hotels provide envelopes, if so, use that. anywhere you expect cleaning service is fine. bed, nightstand, bathroom counter - makes no difference where.

Tip each morning - so the staff providing yopu service that day receives the tip.