We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valet - Tip Before & After?

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
T&L
Metamora, IL
Level Contributor
160 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Valet - Tip Before & After?

Just curious...whenever I use valet, I always tip when I drop off the car AND when I pick it up. Is it customary to only tip when you pick up the car? If so, that's good news for me.

Michigan
Level Contributor
336 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Valet - Tip Before & After?

I only tip after the service has been satisfactorily provided. After I get the car back. In Vegas, I only use rentals though. If you drive your own expensive sports car, you might do things differently.

us
Level Contributor
9,142 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Valet - Tip Before & After?

If we drive we tip at both times, the same staff may not be on duty when you pick up. What's a few extra bucks?

USA
Level Contributor
8,009 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Valet - Tip Before & After?

I tip both times and have great results with it. (ie I don't wait in line) but most only tip at pick-up.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valet - Tip Before & After?

I asked a valet at Bally's and Flamingo -both said, $1 is the standard and it is only at pick up.

Maybe they are just lower end hotels and you are expected to tip more at places like Wynn or Bellagio though.

I have not used the valet at either of these places, but, would suss it out when I arrived and if I felt like I should give them more I would.

We tip as we drop off and pick, up, we usually tip a couple bucks each time.

Park Forest...
Level Contributor
11,474 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Valet - Tip Before & After?

Valets pool their tips. I usually tip on delivery of the car. I would tip on dropoff if their was luggage handling involved.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,437 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Valet - Tip Before & After?

I tip at pick up only when visiting different hotels and tip at both drop off and pick up at the Hotel Im staying at. This puts you ahead of the line at times.

It's only customary to tip at pick up when service is rendered.

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Valet - Tip Before & After?

I only tip when the car is returned to me- usually $3 - more I see they are really moving fast.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Valet - Tip Before & After?

Well, whatever you do don't accidentally give them a $5000 chip.

Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Valet - Tip Before & After?

I tip a buck when receiving the keys. Of course I tip better at hotels where I'm staying, and give them a little extra at the end of the stay.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Valet - Tip Before & After?

We tip $2 upon leaving hotels we're visiting and $5 each time we depart at our host hotel. We like to think that the latter tip increases the chances for fast, friendlier service. I think the valet that takes inyour car probably makes their money on the back end with someone else's car. leaves.