We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do u need US padlocks on cases when coming from UK????

Liverpool
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Do u need US padlocks on cases when coming from UK????

I have been reading that when many people picked their bags up they noticed that the locks were missing and obviously worried. When they opened the cases they noticed a card put there by US Customs advising that they had cut the padlocks and that it was an offense to have luggage locked.....

Has anyone from the UK had this trouble before????

If so which locks are the ones the customs can get into??

Many Thanks

us
Level Contributor
9,142 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Do u need US padlocks on cases when coming from UK????

you need to buy "TSA approved" locks if you want to lock your luggage and have it locked again if inspected

available many places such as travel stores, travelsmith, etc.

any search will get you many sources

also available at shops in many airports

OR do as i do - carry-on only, yes, even for overseas trips.

no hassles, and if your flights are cancelled, delayed, rerouted you have your luggage.

Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
326 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Do u need US padlocks on cases when coming from UK????

Hi

US customs (and UK for that matter), will remove any padlock for inspection of luggage, should it be so required.

You need to purchase a Travel Sentry certified lock these have a red diamond logo, customs have master keys for these, so if a search is carried out they will re-lock you luggage.

Sold, pretty much anywhere and everywhere, just look for the TSC mark

lenny

Liverpool
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Do u need US padlocks on cases when coming from UK????

Thanks guys! Will order some now!

Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
326 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do u need US padlocks on cases when coming from UK????

W H Smiths

Any big supermarket

Boots

Luggage shop

All should sell them

lenny - Assuming you are Liverpool UK.....of course

Liverpool
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Do u need US padlocks on cases when coming from UK????

Yes i am from Liverpool/UK

Thanks for your help

Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do u need US padlocks on cases when coming from UK????

thats a good idea about taking it all in the carry hold

ive had to google this subject before and some of the experiences with these locks is quite suprising

some have reported that locks are being snapped off even though theyre tsa approved

other people are putting extra locks in their suitcases with notes asking customs to lock their suitcase back up after its been inspected

the odd thing i cant get my head around is how is it meant to increase security if the majority of suitcases are now unlocked?

it seems to increase security for the airport over the security for the individual

if your suitcase is unlocked anyone could put anything they wanted into it. it makes a mockery of the whole "have you packed it yourself" question when for a large portion of the time it is unlocked and out of your sight

ive bought a samsonite suitcase with tsa locks incorporated into it, im kind of hoping they dont snap them off because otherwise it would ruin the whole suitcase :0(

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
155 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do u need US padlocks on cases when coming from UK????

I have seen quite a few US Customs approved locks for sale in Liverpool. John Lewis have a selection I think, also Looks bag shop on Bold Street.

South Wales, UK.
Level Contributor
375 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do u need US padlocks on cases when coming from UK????

My TSA approved locks were not on my suitcases when I returned to the UK and when I asked the airline where they were they asked me if I had put them on in the first place.

Lincs UK
Level Contributor
734 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Do u need US padlocks on cases when coming from UK????

Welshlegend

Same here one case came through with the lock on, the other the lock was not on the case.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do u need US padlocks on cases when coming from UK????

I have travelled all over the world and I have not put any lock on my luggage for the last 10 years, whatever lock you put there can easily be cracked or snapped or as I travel with a hodal or rucky most of the time now slit with a knife. The only tme I have had stuff nicked rom my luggage was in Bulgaria and this was when my bags were locked !