We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tip cab drivers

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Morris County, New...
Level Contributor
305 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
tip cab drivers

How much in vegas (tip for cab driver)

Nothing if he takes you from the airport to the hotel by traveling up the stirp! ! !

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,905 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tip cab drivers

Can I get a translation on this one please?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
14,761 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: tip cab drivers

I would guess that bogey2020 is suggesting that the cabbie that takes Las Vegas Blvd south (about two miles south of Mandalay Bay) and drives up the strip that way, has already snookered you and really doesn't derserve a tip. I think that's what he means.

Morris County, New...
Level Contributor
305 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tip cab drivers

You got it hitchhiker - I hear there are (as in any big city I guess) - some unscrupulous cab drivers. I won;t tip that kind.

Morris County, New...
Level Contributor
305 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tip cab drivers

You got it hitchhiker - I hear there are (as in any big city I guess) - some unscrupulous cab drivers. I won;t tip that kind.

But what do you tip for a normal ride (not a big cab taker here)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: tip cab drivers

I take cabs a couple of times a week now...but used to take them alot more. I tip normally about 20%...sometimes more if The driver does something special, like running a red light, crossing over 3 lanes of traffic to get me there, or jumping a curb.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
14,761 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: tip cab drivers

bogey2020, tipping, in my opinion, is supposed to be a way of showoing gratitude for a job well done. It just seems that, nowadays, a tip is expected, regardless. Some people have suggested that the tip be included in the price/cost. For example, don't tell me the cost is $20 PLUS tip, just tell me it's $23.00 and be done with it.

Something similar to that happened to me on my last trip. I received my bill for a light dinner that my wife and I had at a South Point diner. I didn't have change to leave the waitress so I went up to the cashier, paid my bill and returned to leave the tip for the waitress. Well, after we left, i started thinking about the amount that the cashier charged me and it dawned on me that she had charged me the gratuity in addition to my bill. As I stated before, I went back and left the waitress a little more than 20% tip. So I ended up leaving a tip of almost 40%. True, it's my fault for not paying attention to what the cashier charged me. What upset me is the fact the cashier took it upon herself to tack on the tip. Common courtesy says that she should have asked me, but she ddn't and ended up double tipping. Now that double tipping is not going to make me or break me--but what bothers me is the fact that they assume that a tip will be left. That is NOT THEIR DECISION TO MAKE because it's not their money.

Just venting.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,618 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tip cab drivers

like running a red light, crossing over 3 lanes of traffic to get me there, or jumping a curb.

LOL.....now what if they did ALL 3 of those at once?! That could make for a fun cab ride!! =)

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: tip cab drivers

Just a quick thought. I do tip cab drivers because it's the acceptable thing to do but I often have to think why I've done so. A waiter, bartender or bellhop earns minimum wage or close to it and they need tips to make a reasonable living. Tell me if I'm crazy but I can't quite see how a cab driver falls into the same category. Aren't the majority of them self employed?

9. Re: tip cab drivers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 15:20